Not racing but what fuel?

Seth

Country flag
Hi All,

I take my RC out every couple days and would like to know if it would be okay to run either RACE FUEL available locally at 11 bucks per gal or go with a local Ma and Pa non ethanol 92 octane at the country market. Please note cost is not a factor.. this bike get phenomenal fuel mileage. Just looking for pros and cons. Thanks!

Seth

Country flag
Just dont want to deal with Ethanol for the Motorcycle. I am considering buying a 5 gallon VP from Revzilla so I can fill up in the garage.

kaede

I am sure Race Fuel might be overkill and won't make a significant difference on your butt dyno on a Stock RC. If you have tunes and mods, then it might might a slight difference? (I am speaking from experience derived from racing cars and NOT bikes). Also, seems like modified bikes usually don't get a significant boost in power relative to the $ value (you can spend thousands of dollars on a bike to only squeeze out extra 10hp or something like that? simply due to the nature of bike engines being so high performing already out of the box and that the engine itself is small).

Regardless, I personally think running premium branded high quality top tiered fuel would suffice and wouldn't make a difference. I personally run either Chevron 94 octane or Shell 91 octane non-enthanol fuel here in Canada and couldn't tell a difference. All comes down to which gas station is closest and most available.

Cheers!

isaac_

I think his concern is ethanol. Which... if you're running your bike consistently isn't an issue. My theory being you're not allowing to set. Also, race fuel requires tuning. Otherwise there's potential for engine damage. My opinion is run what's available. Race fuel is expensive for daily use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SWdragon

Country flag
I use non-ethanol 93 octane from a couple of stations nearme. I do try when possible to fill up my 5 gallon can, then fill up my bikesusing a filtered funnel from Mr. Funnel.
http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html
I do this as I once got a tank of dirty gas in my Apriliathat clogged up the fuel pump screen (fine grey particles?) A 3-4 hour job tofix, new gasket, sealer, etc…….

Seth

Country flag
Thanks for all the replies all.. Great knowledge!! I will run with 92 non-ethanol from the closest station. Wow Chevron or Shell is what I run anyway but that would be great if I could find that. Space age has it too.. awesome! Mr. Funnel looks like a rockstrar product, no mess and quick filling!

rompus

For how hot these bikes run higher octane would seem like a bad idea as I =understand it higher octane means higher running temps. I second the ethanol free gas. Here in PA we have numerous ethanol free stations I run that in all my bikes.

Maddog Reynolds

Higher octane doesn't really mean higher energy content or higher temperatures, it means better resistance to destructive detonation and the RC, with 12.6:1 compression runs close to that. Mine runs better (smoother *and* slightly faster) on Shell V-Power, which in UK is 99 RON.

I think US fuels are rated differently from RON, withvthe numbers being a bit lower for the same fuel, but I don't kbow the details.

Michelle

I will have to try that fuel Maddog when I go and fuel up later this morning ,, I normally just put unleaded in mine....
They do sell that at the garage where I go but I just never thought of putting it in..

Maddog Reynolds

My dealer suggested premium fuel and I was surprised, but it works.

I find Shell V gives slightly lower mpg riding gently, but it's smoother and the engine feels happier and faster from 7 to 9,000 rpm on wide throttle (the fun bit :) )

I haven't tried the BP "Ultimate" at 98 RON yet.