possible gasket failure in the works?

unicorn_violence

hello peeps! i was changing my oil this afternoon and found some goodies in my oil filters. i didn't see much in the realm of metal shavings, but instead a couple decent size pieces of rubber. i need some expert advice here. do i need to take my bike to the dealership for some serious overlooking on the engine or is this somewhat normal? the oil also looked different from what i was use to. it didn't look cappuccino colored but was more of a light brown with a weird hugh to it. this oil has only seen a couple races though, so that could look odd to me since im used to seeing dirty black oil. thoughts? ( the bright pic of the oil is what i think is a reflection on the white led light)

bNVC0Wi.jpg

6tYnp9K.jpg

sJ7EBBw.jpg

oAHfd3y.jpg

b36deXf.jpg

=maz=

Country flag
Bit hard to see the oil from your pics but in my experience the oil, when it has water in it, looks a bit like Creamed Honey.
If your oil is contaminated with water is may be the water-pump-seal that has gone...or the head.

When mine blew the head gasket there was no contamination...however, when the water pump seal went it was definitely contaminated.

tecknojoe

Country flag
Interesting, Kevin had the exact same thing this weekend. We both "hmmm'd" for a bit but had no real conclusive opinion

big_sur

Absolon opined the gasket material was probably just case sealant that got pushed out onto the inside when they pushed the cases together. Seems reasonable?

Kind of hard to tell from the oil in pic, but if your oil filter is wavy when you take it out, there's water in the oil. Similar to this:
950_oilfilter_water_wavy.jpg

simpletty

Country flag
water in oil

Absolon opined the gasket material was probably just case sealant that got pushed out onto the inside when they pushed the cases together. Seems reasonable?

Kind of hard to tell from the oil in pic, but if your oil filter is wavy when you take it out, there's water in the oil. Similar to this:
950_oilfilter_water_wavy.jpg

simply put, if the rad level went down, and it didn't boil over it probably ended up in the crankcase. Easy visual check for sure. I know as soon as my rad cap is off its full to the neck of the rad and the overflow bottle level remained the at the same level as well. Silicone gasket will not really burn if you try to light it on fire, and rubber will definitely burn, so you could also do a flame test on that peice

unicorn_violence

well i can fur sure attest that the oil filter was not wavy at all. i inspected it thoroughly to check for metal shavings, so thats a good sign. simpletty you bring up a good point. i do remember that before this last weekend the water level was the same in the overflow and radiator, but i'll check again tonight. i'll do the burn test too, i hope its just sealant. i did get this bike serviced at a local dealership that does not contain the best and brightest, so i could see them using excessive amount of sealant that eventually finds its way to the screens, prompting me to freak out:mad:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Looks like bond/sealant by the pics... Best I can tell. If it does't look like a stamped rubber part (seal) just extra that peeled off inside cases, nothing new. Looks too long/big for a seal lip out of that engine. As long as coolant level is good everywhere like stated above you have nothing to worry about!

unicorn_violence

Looks like bond/sealant by the pics... Best I can tell. If it does't look like a stamped rubber part (seal) just extra that peeled off inside cases, nothing new. Looks too long/big for a seal lip out of that engine. As long as coolant level is good everywhere like stated above you have nothing to worry about!

wheew! well that is a sigh of relief! i think my heart stopped a little when i saw those pieces in the oil

unicorn_violence

Two stroke, four stroke, doesn't matter. If your oil looks like pistachio pudding you have a coolant leak.
stevieboy i didn't see your previous post when i made that meme. i was just trying to be funny lol. but i will say the water level looked the same still so i think it must have been sealant. i did the burn test and it burnt very quickly, and didn't smell like rubber at all. hopefully that puts me in the clear.

stevieboy

Country flag
stevieboy i didn't see your previous post when i made that meme. i was just trying to be funny lol. but i will say the water level looked the same still so i think it must have been sealant. i did the burn test and it burnt very quickly, and didn't smell like rubber at all. hopefully that puts me in the clear.

No problem. I was looking at the oil only. Usually when it gets cloudy or milky like that its a water leak into the crankcase.

Metals 907

Two stroke, four stroke, doesn't matter. If your oil looks like pistachio pudding you have a coolant leak.

Not exactly true. 2 stroke bikes use oil injection or premixed fuel to lubricate the cylinder and crankcase. The gearbox and clutch (wet type ) use seperate oil. When the oil in the gearbox goes milky its usually because of submersion or injection via the breather. Not saying the shaft seal on the water pump cant fail and leak, just not as common on 2 strokes.

@Unicorn_violence
You weren't using an LED light to work by and take pictures with by chance , were you? Ive noticed led lights tend to give most oils an opaque , hazy appearance. Has something to do with the spectrum of the light i believe.

unicorn_violence

@Unicorn_violence
You weren't using an LED light to work by and take pictures with by chance , were you? Ive noticed led lights tend to give most oils an opaque , hazy appearance. Has something to do with the spectrum of the light i believe.

your correct, first pic that is bright with the hazy color is from an led light. second darker pic of oil is from a regular light. i was thinking possibly the haze was produced by the reflection of the led light in the oil, which is why i took the seconds pic

Metals 907

Dude really?

Back to the discussion,

The oil in the second picture looks like used oil should. If it doesent smell burnt, like gasoline, or have an obvious milky appearance i wouldnt worry. The gasket material in it looks like mine did . (There is a thread on it). It is from the person assembling the case halves using a liberal amount of sealant. You can see it on the outside of the seam as well. They will go away after a few oil changes. There is a strainer screen(s) on the scavenge pump oil pickup and filter to keep from circulating them through the system.

Last edited:

unicorn_violence

http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/engine-and-technical-discussion/481-motor-worms.html

after reading this i feel better about things. im gonna keep a close eye on that oil though. i might pull it out after the next race weekend in daylight and check for haziness again just to be safe

stevieboy you have me worried now lol
i would check it again, but its already in a dirty oil pan, that has had a bunch of diff fluids in it at one point or the other

Last edited:

Metals 907

Nothing wrong with that. Racing is harder on everything. The condition of your oil can tell you a lot about the condition of your internals.