Sears Point Track Day

micahpearlman

Dialing in the suspension at a Keigwins trackday for AFM race Sept 5th & 6th. Notice me waving to the Ninja 300 as I walked past around 1:08.

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ley6ulfqmft7x4e/SearsPoint-8-17-15.mp4?dl=0[/video]

micahpearlman

Cool... thanks for the video and nice pass in 7 :cool:

Yeah I was running B group and those are some sketchy riders. That was a Ducati Panigale in 7. Passed quite a few liter bikes -- those guys just park it. I never got a single clear run. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldVet

Yeah I was running B group and those are some sketchy riders. That was a Ducati Panigale in 7. Passed quite a few liter bikes -- those guys just park it. I never got a single clear run. :-/

Yeah liter bikes are a little more point and shoot than the 390. Good luck on the 5 & 6th...

micahpearlman

Yeah liter bikes are a little more point and shoot than the 390. Good luck on the 5 & 6th...

I didn't see any that were pointing it or shooting it very well. It was B group so I guess I should give them some slack.

micahpearlman

Damn, nice job! How did it handle the carousel? Looks like a blast.

I had some issues early in the day with the entry to the carousel if I ran it in too hard -- going over the hill and then turning it in made the front dive and the rear a little light so it wouldn't settle how I wanted. I put in a bit more support in the front and that seemed to help with settling.

The bike is on rails, I think I have worked out a good base balance for the track. Can't wait for the race there in a couple of weeks! :)

OldVet

Is there any chance you can add a camera looking forward so we can see where you are going, or relocate the one you have so we can see something other than your behind :confused:

micahpearlman

Is there any chance you can add a camera looking forward so we can see where you are going, or relocate the one you have so we can see something other than your behind :confused:

Front view. I'm going pretty slow as this is just the second session of the day and I was getting held up everywhere.

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/or48ui4k1383dwz/Sears-Point-front-8-17-15.mp4?dl=0[/video]

OldVet

Front view. I'm going pretty slow as this is just the second session of the day and I was getting held up everywhere.

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/or48ui4k1383dwz/Sears-Point-front-8-17-15.mp4?dl=0[/video]

Much better view IMHO, thanks.

I'll be looking forward to some race video...

micahpearlman

Much better view IMHO, thanks.

I'll be looking forward to some race video...

Thanks. Yeah, for entertainment value the forward view is better. For analysis I want to see how I'm moving on the bike. I have a tendency to hang off too much on this bike in the faster corners which really slows things down and I tend to sit too far forward in the seat when braking which causes the rear to come up or around when I want it to settle -- all stuff that was fine when I'm racing dirt track or supermoto but not so much in lightweight road racing.

Last edited:

OldVet

Thanks. Yeah, for entertainment value the forward view is better. For analysis I want to see how I'm moving on the bike. I have a tendency to hang off too much on this bike in the faster corners which really slows things down and I tend to sit too far forward in the seat when braking which causes the rear to come up or around when I want it to settle -- all stuff that was fine when I'm racing dirt track or supermoto but not so much in lightweight road racing.

Yeah analyzing pictures and video is a very useful tool and the rear view is great for that.

micahpearlman

Such a trade off between fixing things with body position verses fixing it with geometry and suspension. I could "fix" the braking issues with geometry and suspension but then I degrade the ability to put the bike anywhere I want in the corner. If I simply sit farther back when braking I can have both -- just need to train my muscle memory.

MATT675R

How did you do at the afm race on the 5-6? I was there helping a buddy who was racing. I tried to watch the light weight races as much as possible. They looked so much fun. How many races or track days do you get out of a set of tires? I am thinking of buying a RC390 or a R3 and just looking for input.
Dialing in the suspension at a Keigwins trackday for AFM race Sept 5th & 6th. Notice me waving to the Ninja 300 as I walked past around 1:08.

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ley6ulfqmft7x4e/SearsPoint-8-17-15.mp4?dl=0[/video]

micahpearlman

How did you do at the afm race on the 5-6? I was there helping a buddy who was racing. I tried to watch the light weight races as much as possible. They looked so much fun. How many races or track days do you get out of a set of tires? I am thinking of buying a RC390 or a R3 and just looking for input.

I got a 2nd in F3 a 3rd in 250 prod, and 4th in 350 prod and 250 super bike.

I have no idea how long the tires last. I did 5 outings (3 race weekends and 2 track days -- so a total of 8 days) on the Super Corsa and put on a new set out of principle. The old set looked fine and still worked well and probably would have made it through another weekend but got paranoid after some stories from buddies about crashing on overly used tires.

The R3 seems to be working well. I still love the 390 and one big advantage everyone was mentioning to me was that the 390 will pull harder out of corners then the twins though top speed seams a bit less.

Last edited:

MATT675R

I got a 2nd in F3 a 3rd in 250 prod, and 4th in 350 prod and 250 super bike.

I have no idea how long the tires last. I did 5 outings (3 race weekends and 2 track days -- so a total of 8 days) on the Super Corsa and put on a new set out of principle. The old set looked fine and still worked well and probably would have made it through another weekend but got paranoid after some stories from buddies about crashing on overly used tires.

The R3 seems to be working well. I still love the 390 and one big advantage everyone was mentioning to me was that the 390 will pull harder out of corners then the twins though top speed seams a bit less.

Thanks for the info. Good job on your finishes for the race weekend. Have you had to do much to the suspension yet. I weigh 190 without gear and wondering what type of work i will need to do to get the suspension set up.

micahpearlman

Thanks for the info. Good job on your finishes for the race weekend. Have you had to do much to the suspension yet. I weigh 190 without gear and wondering what type of work i will need to do to get the suspension set up.

I'm 195 naked. You absolutely need a rear shock with adjustable ride height. I run a Penske, have hear good things about the JRI and there is the WP. If you can afford it get a 3 way adjustable (I run a 2 way). If you are on a budget you can get away with a stock front end though I run GP Suspension cartridges which are very nice.

Make sure to get race brake pads -- I run the Brembo race pads but I've heard good things about the EBC HH.

For a pipe I see the new Yoshimura as very attractive for ground clearance. I run the Akrapovic and have clearance issues if I lower the rear suspension.

MATT675R

I'm 195 naked. You absolutely need a rear shock with adjustable ride height. I run a Penske, have hear good things about the JRI and there is the WP. If you can afford it get a 3 way adjustable (I run a 2 way). If you are on a budget you can get away with a stock front end though I run GP Suspension cartridges which are very nice.

Make sure to get race brake pads -- I run the Brembo race pads but I've heard good things about the EBC HH.

For a pipe I see the new Yoshimura as very attractive for ground clearance. I run the Akrapovic and have clearance issues if I lower the rear suspension.

Good info, thanks. Where are some good places to find parts that are local or do you just have to order everything on the line. Are you going to be at T-hill October 3 for the afm race.

micahpearlman

Good info, thanks. Where are some good places to find parts that are local or do you just have to order everything on the line. Are you going to be at T-hill October 3 for the afm race.

Go to SuperPlush in SF for the suspension. Other then that I've got most stuff online.

Yeah I'll be at thill for the next AFM round.