Stock Fork is Cartridge or Damping rod

SPG

OK then, for you Matt, 248 to 252mm. Others may get away with a larger range.

Stockers are 343mm with 7.5mm of spacers.

Boom! Your workable range just got even bigger :)

I'm running 250mm with spacers, but one could run longer and heavier springs if it was more convenient.

-Sean

DCMoney

Country flag

I'm running 250mm with spacers, but one could run longer and heavier springs if it was more convenient.

-Sean

Thanks if that's the case these models should work with different length spacers. Does not account for OD’s and ID’s but they are all pretty close.

The first 2 digits represent the OD (rounding) second 2 digits are spring length just add a zero to the end.

FRSP S3627
FRSP S3625

Info on springs here - http://racetech.com/download/FRSP-RTForkSprings.xls

EDIT: Anything over 36mm OD wont fit.

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag

-Sean

Man, that's some pretty big spacers then going from 7.5mm spacers to... that's what, 85.5mm-ish spacers?

I was just thinking we'd want to have as long of springs as possible with the spring rate being such that spacers would be shorter. Like you don't want too much preload on a rear shock or too short of a spring so you need to shim it. I know we aren't currently using near what LOOKS like would be the full stroke of the front forks. Is that because of the longer springs, or are those two things not related?

Ryanthegreat1

I don't think spring length will make much a difference.

Now if you were running a spring so short that it was going into block before full travel was reached then you might have a problem.

I have drilled and tapped the body for a schrader valve which comes off at about a 45 degree angle to the shock. This allows for continued nitrogen draining and refilling. The first disassembly required drilling the top with a 1/16 hole (and safety glasses) to let the gas out. This hole was later enlarged to fit the valve.
-Sean

Man there are million Shrader valves. Which valve did you choose?

Thanks

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag

-Sean

I went ahead and ordered some springs from RaceTech while I was ordering parts for the R6 shock swap. I went with the 250mm length in a 1.0 rate. I'm 220# so am hoping that'll be enough spring. I bought the FRSP S3625, as I wasn't sure if the FRSP S3732's 37mm OD would fit. I would have liked that longer spring because it also comes in one rate higher than 1.1 that the 3625 maxes out at, with a 1.2 option. Without being able to do the calculation (not knowing the formula) for computing / estimating the spring rate for the bike tho, I'm just going off what others say they are running and their weights, and guessing for myself for now. {shrug}

So I'm going on Seans word that 250mm is long enough and won't "go into block before full travel is reached" as Ryan put it... :) Sometimes ya' just gotta close your eyes and leap! If it turns out at 1.1 I'm still under spring with whatever size it turns out I need for the correct spacers, I'll apparently have a set of springs for sale for somebody whos lighter in the 200#ish range rather than my Big Fatty 220#. Or it'll inspire me to died harder again and get down into Onederland again.... or I'll order the 1.1's and try again. If THAT is insuffiecient, and it turns out that 37mm OD springs will fit, I'll look into the 1.2 rated springs. That seems like it would be too high a rate, but that's me totally guessing (again, don't have or know the formula for computing this for the front end)

The S3732's seem like what I'd have rather ordered, but without knowing if a 37mm OD would fit, and my needing springs NOW NOW NOW, I went with what's been shown by the forum to work.

I expect I'll need at least 7w fork oil, possibly higher, but that's where I'll start. Parts are en route and scheduled to arrive on Wednesday.

Thanks for the help with getting these things sorted out for everyone Sean, DC, and Ryan. I'll report back how things sort out for me. in a weeks time. :)

SPG

Hi Matt,
My first set of 37's measured just enough over that they didn't fit. The 36's fit just fine. Also, the question to ask (for future spring purchases) is if the particular spring (wire thickness, coil spacing) will bind before 140-150mm of travel. Depending on the answer, you can make your choice. 37's might fit, but if they are on the fat side, you might have some challenges.
-Sean

SPG

No, travel should be 125 and 15mm of preload would put you at 140.

The travel actually seems a tad under 125. Fork bottom puts the seal lip around 44mm from the base casting. (as determined with a wheel chock and some ratchet tiedowns).

-Sean

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hi Matt,
My first set of 37's measured just enough over that they didn't fit. The 36's fit just fine. Also, the question to ask (for future spring purchases) is if the particular spring (wire thickness, coil spacing) will bind before 140-150mm of travel. Depending on the answer, you can make your choice. 37's might fit, but if they are on the fat side, you might have some challenges.
-Sean

Your springs are not the RaceTech FRSP S3625 tho right? I think most of us looking at doing springs and oil are sourcing from RaceTech... I remember you saying something about them being springs you had laying around for a Ninja something or other if I'm remembering right. I guess we'll know on Thursday when I tear my front end apart and drop the RaceTech FRSP S3625's in and start trying to make spacers to set my preload and then see if 1) I got the spring rate correct (220# and ordered 1.0 springs) and 2) if they bind at full extension with whatever my amount of preload works out to. I do wish I didn't have to had guessed at the spring rate, but .95 seems too light. I'm going to start with 7w fork oil and see how that does.

SPG

I put in Sonic Springs (also readily available in the US). I was told that they were the same as used in the 09-11 ZX6R.
-Sean

psych0hans

Country flag
Hi guys, here is a list of stock ZX6r springs we should be able to use with their stock rate.

1. 2009-2012 - .95kg/mm
  2. 2007-2008 - .87kg/mm
  3. 2005-2006 - .90kg/mm
  4. 2003-2004 - .85kg/mm
Looking at this, I'm planning on ordering a stock pair of springs from the 2003-2004 ZX6R. Would love some feedback from you guys...

p.s. does anyone know the stock spring size on the RC8?

Last edited:

Bagwell

Country flag
Ok, so tell me if this logic makes sense or doesn't. In the name of finding a fork spring that doesnt need as much preload spacer length I was looking for something around 340 to 345 and it seems a Suzuki Bandit 600 aka GSF600 uses a racetech fork spring option FRSP S3534100 fork spring which is I think 35mm OD, 345mm free length, and this one is a 1.0kg/mm spring rate. Do y'all think this spring being longer and higher spring rate would bind over the travel of the RC390 STREET front fork travel? Actual specs are 34.7mm OD and 340mm free length it seems.

Thanks,
Vaughn

Last edited:

DCMoney

Country flag
Ok, so tell me if this logic makes sense or doesn't. In the name of finding a fork spring that doesnt need as much preload spacer length I was looking for something around 340 to 345 and it seems a Suzuki Bandit 600 aka GSF600 uses a racetech fork spring option FRSP S3534100 fork spring which is I think 35mm OD, 345mm free length, and this one is a 1.0kg/mm spring rate. Do y'all think this spring being longer and higher spring rate would bind over the travel of the RC390 STREET front fork travel?

Thanks,
Vaughn

How much do you weight? You can get the FRSP S3524 in different spring rates to suit your weight.

SPG

For what it's worth, I wouldn't fear longer spacers. Thin wall aluminum tube is lighter than the steel spring they replace. As long as the springs have enough length to not bind with the needed travel, you should be good.

That said, since I don't know the coil spacing, you will need to ask the spring supplier if they will bind with 145-150mm of travel. Probably not but always good to check.
-Sean