There's a steam leak on my bike.

robenever

Could you help identify the problem??
So Today i discovered that there's a crack in this part and there's steam coming out of it. Right on the line that I pointed out.
The plastic box is directly under the gas tank on the right side of the bike and I was wondering what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.
It's causing the bike to slow start. It takes holding the ignition about 5-10 seconds for the bike to start.

566a81406e483ce256b843122780f9ca.jpg
4b7571a884f55a4ec9be0fb0beda9eef.jpg

f3817bff2b8b3fb424e3758177238b0e.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 452

That is a technical bulletin/recall with KTM. Take it to a dealer. The airbox cracks.

I ride a Duke but I'm pretty sure that our bikes use the same air box. KTM NA told me they would look at it when I called about the crack after my warranty expired but they also told me they weren't aware of all the cracked air boxes on bikes with low miles on the forums. I delivered my broken air box to my local dealer and they contacted KTM. No notes were made about my phone call so the claim was denied. I don't think there's a TSB on this problem and I don't think KTM wants to do anything about it.

Ryanthegreat1

If you have steam coming out of there you might have excessive blow by. Could cause long starts and be down on power.

My air box has the same crack, I think they all do. No visible steam or other gasses escape on mine.

D

Deleted member 452

I didn't see a bunch of white blow by come out of mine 'till the motor was toast @ 13K miles. It was cracked for a long time before that but nothing puffed out of it 'till things went to crap inside the engine.

robenever

I didn't see a bunch of white blow by come out of mine 'till the motor was toast @ 13K miles. It was cracked for a long time before that but nothing puffed out of it 'till things went to crap inside the engine.

So does this mean I'm in trouble ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 452

Maybe...

Can you post a video of it running? Mine was really hard to start when it happened but then would idle smoothly (and puff smoke out the airbox). Way less power, too.