Track bike fan question

nfash599

Hello I just bought a 17 rc390 and plan on just racing it and trackdays. I have done two trackdays so far and it only has 278 miles. I did a complete coolant flush and put evens race coolant in it. To try and keep the temperature down. However on my second day it was about 85 to 90 degrees out and after my third session my check engine light came on and it said night coolant temp. I gave it a brake and when I got home everything was off no light and no message on the dash. I have since taken it apart. I tested the thermostat and that’s still working. There is the slightest oil leak from the head but it’s hardly a leak. However I noticed that when I first bought the bike. I’m assuming it’s a blown head gasket. Lastly I was wondering if you guys use the fan on your race bikes or just remove them and do the thermostat delete with the samco lines.
Thanks in advance
9054bf52c203956ddcf54f198bf97ad2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amejia

find a second fan and rig it and install it, i have mine running from the high beam switch keeps the bike cool specially on long races

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I did a complete coolant flush and put evens race coolant in it. To try and keep the temperature down.

If you don't have to worry about freezing temps, I would just run straight distilled water and skip all the "secret sauce" non-glycol coolants. These coolants don't contribute to better performance in cooling. The only thing they do is keep the water from freezing. Coolant additives don't help run cooler. All the does is change the specific freezing point. You can also run a higher pressure radiator cap which will also raise the boiling point of the water. If you are worried about freezing temps in the off season, or going over a high mountain pass, just drop the water from the motor. Another advantage of running just water is you can drop the coolant anywhere without worry of catching every last drop. All I run is water. I'm in Central Texas, so rarely have to worry about freezing temps. In the deep of winter, I will sometimes put a small heater in the garage, or run a lightbulb and hang it under the motor on the bikes and my laser engraver. What you'll never see is a head to head comparison of Coolant X with their secret sauce additives against straight distilled water. Why? Because they will lose the comparison. Every. Time.

There is the slightest oil leak from the head but it’s hardly a leak. However I noticed that when I first bought the bike. I’m assuming it’s a blown head gasket. Lastly I was wondering if you guys use the fan on your race bikes or just remove them and do the thermostat delete with the samco lines.

Hmmm. A blown head gasket would result is contaminated coolant most likely. I would suspect the valve cover before the head gasket. I don't have eyeballs on your head, but that head gasket can be pretty finicky in the tight confined of the frame with everything else in there... and if it started that way from the factory, it's not unheard of for the crew in India to shortcut or make a mistake on initial assembly. I'd check the cover and see if that's the source. If you aren't seeing contamination in your coolant or your oil, then I just have a hard time seeing it being the head gasket. $0.02.