Track Suits-1 piece suits/2 piece

kings4thecup

hey guys...im in the market for my first suit...preferably would want to have a Dainese or Alpinestars....however, I don't want to spend a lot of money on one because im getting married in October. Would any of you buy a used suit with a light rash? I found a Laguna Seca Dainese suit for $400 OBO with a slight rash and im considering doing it. Can suits be repaired? Any input is appreciated.

big_sur

It depends on the extent of the damage, but if it's just light rash, sure. In most cases they can be repaired. Ask around your local racing club; there's usually a local lady that repairs a lot of leathers.

ryandalling

Most of the local race groups could point you to a repair person for pretty cheap. Sounds like a good deal. I'd stay with a one piece over a two piece. Some of the track groups require one piece.

ArkansasDave

All suits can be repaired but likely wont have much of the original suit left after the panels have been replaced.

Not it sure where you are located but there is a shop called leather and lace in Houston than can repair and tailor leathers. They do amazing work. 10/10 would recommend you take them there.

I completly agree with Ash797. The Cortech suit and many other brands are often as good as Dainese or Alpinestars. Over my 30+ years of racing, I have talked to many people new to track riding that think if they spend more $$ for brand names they get better protection. However, there are lots of suits that work just as well for alot less. Fit is more important than look or name branding. If in doubt call a reputable shop like Sport Bike Track Gear (STG) and ask their advice on a suit manufacturer(s). Some suits just don't fit my body shape as well as others. It will be the same for you. parillaguy

kings4thecup

I completly agree with Ash797. The Cortech suit and many other brands are often as good as Dainese or Alpinestars. Over my 30+ years of racing, I have talked to many people new to track riding that think if they spend more $$ for brand names they get better protection. However, there are lots of suits that work just as well for alot less. Fit is more important than look or name branding. If in doubt call a reputable shop like Sport Bike Track Gear (STG) and ask their advice on a suit manufacturer(s). Some suits just don't fit my body shape as well as others. It will be the same for you. parillaguy

i appreciate what you said and i can honestly say i DO agree with what you said in regards to $ on brand names and looks.

i have been surfing/snowboarding for most of my life and that is exactly how those sports are...everyone wants to look like a pro and i do NOT care...i care about protection and comfort.

I'm going to have a look at the cortech suit....from what i've read most people in other forums were saying go with dainese or A* because of the quality which i can't deny but no one had mentioned any other brands just as good...

i appreciate all the input and if anyone has any other suggestions on brands that serve the purpose i am 110% open to all suggestions.

Thanks everyone

big_sur

Taichi, Vanson, Spidi, Arlen Ness, and Revit make good stuff as well. There's some other niche manufactures I can't think of at the moment, but sometimes you can find the lesser known ones at more of a discount used since they don't have the name recognition of dainese or a-stars.

psych0hans

Country flag
I bought an old stock teknic for a throw away price... Superb quality and looks the part as well... I'm sure there are deals still to be had if you look around...

Willasan

To echo the others here, I got a Teknic kangaroo suit in like new condition the guy had bought hoping to lose weight and never did. Took me about three weeks straight of Craigslist to find it though. Great quality, I lowsided at about 30 mph and you wouldn't be able to tell unless I showed you the tiny bit of rash. Go for a good quality suit that fits, don't base your purchase on branding alone IMHO.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I bought a full, made to measure, 1 piece suit off eBay from a seller who manufactures in Pakistan. I admit, I was a bit hesitant, but the suits were SO well reviewed, I decided to try and see. I am IMMENSELY happy I did.

Here's a screenshot of my eBay order history from when I bought my leathers... The full suit at the time was $270 w/shipping. The eBay sellers name is buttcogroup66 and is VERY well reviewed. The quality of suit is outstanding. It's WAY better than even my $1400 custom Syed suit that I raced with for 7 seasons... and had... {ahem}... a "few" get offs wearing it in those years. I don't actually even remember if I ever hit the pavement at UNDER 100mph in that suit. I have NO doubt that my buttco suit will perform just as well. You can also order custom patterns, as well as get any of the 1 piece jackets made into a suit, 1 or 2 piece. All suits are made to order, from your measurements. I would error on the side of providing extra measurements if you have any oddly proportion parts of yourself, just so that if it doesn't fit perfectly, you have something to fall back on for "I warned that XXXX was YYYYY measurement." Not that expect the seller would have any problems with fixing any issues in the order. His feedback is pretty much nothing but praise from folks. His store as listed as being in the UK, but everything is made in Pakistan in what appears to be a section which appears to do a LOT of leather manufacturing.

The pros:
1) The leather is heavy weight but still supple and easy to move in
2) The dye is good. I've been rained on, and no runs or staining.
3) All the stitching is double stitch
4) The lining is a decent quality
5) Heavy duty zippers
6) Armor for knees, shoulders, elbows, and hips is good. It's just the back I wasn't happy with because it was just foam, and I want hard armor for my back protection.
7) Kneepucks are wearing very well
8) Fast DHL air delivery
9) VERY good communication and prompt in replies
10) Handled the fitment issue promptly and to my satisfaction
11) Heavy duty / strong thread for all seams
12) Armor is held in with velcro and easy to remove or replace

My only nitpicks are:
1) No stretch fabric behind the knees on the full suit, so it's all leather. This can lead to it being a bit tight if I'm wearing jeans under the suit... so I tend to just wear cargo shorts, or underpants, instead when I wear the suit, and try and remember I'm only wearing that if I go to take the suit off when taking the suit off in public. I would request this if I were ordering again. Didn't think of it at the time, just assumed it would have had this. My mistake. I'd recommend requesting it.
2) Zipper pulls are on the "chick" / european side. This is just an annoyance more than anything.
3) Had to have him remake the jacket and suit after the initial order didn't fit correctly even after being told I have a REALLY long torso with the accompanying gorilla length arms... I had also provided measurements for such and stated I wanted longer arms so that when I was leaned forward in full tuck that the garment arms ended at my wrists. Still, he accepted both garments back (I did have to return them at my expense to Niagara, NY which was $40) and had replacements sent to me which then did fit perfectly.
4) The back armor is a bit less than I'm happy with. I just took the back protector out of my Syed suit, and sewed a chest strap onto it with a snap buckle. I put the suit on by putting my legs in, hiking it up to my waist, then put the back protector on, then pull the upper section on, and zip up. Easy peasy.

yRCLMOSj3vstgfzYf-UY1pPjS8sHxXNf4o6c1JfLoL8=w1141-h713-no

I'm not affiliated at all, just a REALLY happy customer.

Last edited:

Ash797

kings4thecup

im going to take a look at it today..its bout a 20min drive from my boxing gym. I think for $300 even if its a little dirty ill take it and try to clean it up....he said he low sided at 30mph so its not even him going fast

octaneguy

I have a Cortech 2 piece Adrenaline suit. I love it. I bought the jacket first from a local motorcycle supply store discounted for about $250, and then found the matching pants on clearance from Motorcyclegear.com for $150.

1.IMG_1897.jpg

2.IMG_1908.jpg

regular_guy

I got one of those suits from an ebay seller in pakistan. It's a copy of a dainese avro, it arrived and fit just as it should with the measurements I sent the seller. At first I thought it was a clearance deal or something, because he accepted an offer of 415 bucks. Then it dawned on me that I'd just bought a "counterfeit" motorcycle suit. That being said, it's heavy duty and definitely of very good quality. Either way, I asked the seller about the inside tags and the button on the neck part not being exactly right, and he told me that it's a "replica" and that everyone on ebay sells those, and that I could have half my money back or just return the suit. But, since it's illegal for me to knowingly traffic in counterfeit goods, I couldn't send it back, so ebay buyer protection, after about 2 weeks just refunded my 415 bucks and I got to keep the suit. Pure madness. Best deal ever.

The seller is still there selling the same suit. But, he added the word "replica" to the title. Technically though that doesn't shield him from the same liability as ebay seller rules do not allow for replica items to be sold if they bear the logo of another company...like dainese.

Motorcycle Racing Replica Dainese Avro 2 Piece motorbike Leather Suit | eBay

Just noticed. Mine was free shipping, now he wants 85 bucks to ship it. Still has it listed as shipping from inside the US, but it really comes in a cardboard box from Pakistan.

Last edited:

CDN Duke

Country flag
I got one of those suits from an ebay seller in pakistan. It's a copy of a dainese avro, it arrived and fit just as it should with the measurements I sent the seller. At first I thought it was a clearance deal or something, because he accepted an offer of 415 bucks. Then it dawned on me that I'd just bought a "counterfeit" motorcycle suit. That being said, it's heavy duty and definitely of very good quality. Either way, I asked the seller about the inside tags and the button on the neck part not being exactly right, and he told me that it's a "replica" and that everyone on ebay sells those, and that I could have half my money back or just return the suit. But, since it's illegal for me to knowingly traffic in counterfeit goods, I couldn't send it back, so ebay buyer protection, after about 2 weeks just refunded my 415 bucks and I got to keep the suit. Pure madness. Best deal ever.

Well played. :cool:

Just had an eBay transaction for an A* Jaws jacket cancelled as seller's account allegedly got hacked and was used for phishing...

Picked up used A* GP Pro jacket and Missile pants locally instead.

ianblewitt

Country flag
I just got a Dainese Laguna Seca D1 and I'm really happy with it. I wish it had a spot for a back protector but I can get a separate one.
I was in a bit of a pinch as my school was coming up and something happened with my rental suit, luckily one of my local(ish) dealers had one suit in stock, which happened to be my size, so I definitely paid for "convenience" over a deal, but regardless I'm still really liking the quality of it as well as all the replaceable parts.