What a blast!

Kootenanny

So, I took a longer ride today, as I'm attending a trade show tomorrow. Packed up a coupla bags and strapped them to the tail, then set off on a route I know quite well (Hwy 6 from South Slocan to Vernon via Needles ferry, for those in BC).

I've been riding this road on my Buell Firebolt for over a decade, It's relatively fast and twisty, with enough deer and gravel in the corners to keep you on your toes. A fun ride. And a really fun ride on the RC--it's exactly what I hoped for. It's like the Firebolt "Lite,". Less weight, lighter handling, less power too...

I admit, I miss a few things about the 'Bolt. For one, the sound...even stock (I'm not one for loud bikes), the Buell just sounds like a motorcycle. The RC sounds like I'm gonna mow the lawn. Also, the "push"--the RC just doesn't have the grunt and torque of the (more than twice the displacement) Buell. And thirdly, the simple, solidly planted feel in the corners (but the RC is close!). On the other hand, the RC doesn't require nearly the same muscle to ride; everything from the clutch to the steering to just pushing it around the garage is lighter on the RC.

Now, it's gonna need some help, The Buell's stock suspension setup has spoiled me...I can feel the weakness in the RC's rear shock, and I'd like to update ethe front, too. The brakes are a bit, uh, wooden (I'm told some good aftermarket pads will help). And the seat...I've got an "Ergo" seat on order, but it's not in yet, so...

But overall, what a blast. I was grinning ear to ear. This thing turns! And that's worth the cost of admission.

Diploman

The Gen1 front brake - both variants - definitely needs upgrading (This has been done by the factory on the forthcoming 2017 Duke). On my bike I fitted HH sintered pads, a Galfer 320mm rotor, and a new radial 15mm MC (suggest Brembo if you are racing, Frando for street). This combination yields a powerful, easily controlled front brake that requires low lever effort. Keep the ABS unless your bike is solely for track.

bkruk

We need to meet up and you can try my bike as I have addressed all of your concerns and then some and you can decide for yourself what you might want to do.

Last edited: