What you, users, think about KTM RC 390?

Fenek

Hi, I'd like to buy KTM RC 390 as my next bike and I'd like to ask some questions about it.
1.) What about durability of the bike? I'm driving a lot (Alomst 20.000km on 125cm3 in 1 year and 2 months) and I require from bike good durability. I have bought Yamaha YZF R-125 and paid almost half of it's price into rebuilding engine. 3 times... First engine seized, so I changed piston and cylinder. After that engine begun burning 400ml of oil per 1000 kilometers, mechanic had to do something wrong and he bend oil ring, so I had to buy new piston rings... Only avabile with whole piston. 3rd time... Changing crankshaft, connecting rod and all bearings inside engine. All in one year. I think, that now you understand what I'm telling about.
2.) Does this model have known problems, that repeat very often? Some part failrues or something, overheating? I have read some posts about overheating, but this post were from India where is really hot.
3.) Motorcycle is buil in India, but what about engine? I heard it's build in Austria and send to India or even mounted in Europe. Is that true? Do you know anything about it?
4.) I'd like to take bike for at least few trackdays, is it going to survive this?
5.) Is any quality difference between India and European versions? Most posts I have found came from India, and people were talking about vibrating and making strange noises fairings, battery cover or overheating which I mentioned before.

So guys, can you reply this questions? I wouldn't like to hit again mine like I did with my R125. Is it a good bike? As far I know, it's very good as a little sport bike. But people are not really talking much about technical issues.

Last edited:

EnergyHOU

1) Although some, or even most, would disagree, my opinion is that this is NOT a bike for commuting. This isn't a grocery getter, something you take to work, etc. In short, it is not for going from A to B. This is a track toy, canyon carver, and so on. I am actually of the opinion based on what I've seen that the ones that spend their life on the track or getting ridden hard on the street appear to be faring better than the commuters.
2) The obvious one that comes to mind is the radiator fan going out. Google around, one great fix involving switching to a SPAL, otherwise just cover under warranty.
3) Can't comment, all I know is it is assembled in India.
4) As said above, in my opinion this is where it runs the best.
5) There is undoubtedly a different in the quality of what they're spitting out in Europe versus what they are bringing over from India. Talk to Duke owners that have both a 690 or 1290 and a 390. Ultimately you just have to be very aware of what can go wrong, keep an ear and eye out for issues and try to front run problems before they happen.

It's a great bike, I love mine, but I'm also understanding of the above mentioned points as well as all the things I've read on this forum. It's not on hugs and kisses.

OldVet

Fenek do some searching on this site, I'm pretty sure all of your questions and more have already been addressed.

Fenek

1) Although some, or even most, would disagree, my opinion is that this is NOT a bike for commuting. This isn't a grocery getter, something you take to work, etc. In short, it is not for going from A to B. This is a track toy, canyon carver, and so on. I am actually of the opinion based on what I've seen that the ones that spend their life on the track or getting ridden hard on the street appear to be faring better than the commuters.

I understand, that It may not be good bike for commuting, but that is less important thing to me. Of course I'm driving it to school or shop, but the most important thing to me is how bike is going to perform when I'll finally get it on track, curvy roads and just have fun with it. My R125 have almost the same position on the bike, it is also (little) sport bike, but for me it's great bike and does pretty well in riding it every day. I did some few-hundred kilometers trips, I felt some pain in my back and my wrist, but I can deal with it. I'm aware what type of bike I'm buying and that it's not meant to be comfort.

Thank you for your opinion!

I've read also about some head gasket failrues and low oil preassure alarms on this forum.

Topaz

Country flag
Hopefully the known issues have been addressed in the 2016 model?
I haven't heard many complains from 2016 owners. Also, 2016 is supposed to have a 2 years warranty, which makes a big difference, right?

Treachery

Country flag
Fenek do some searching on this site, I'm pretty sure all of your questions and more have already been addressed.

Welcome, Fenek! ^^^^^ THIS is the best advice any of us can give you. There's been a lot of experience built up by the collective ownership, and much of it has already been shared. Make yourself at home!

zaster

Country flag
Good to see a fellow European on this forum.
This place will be good for fact finding and don't be shy asking experienced owners/racers/builders for specific information while searching
existing threads.
Recommended modifications are front and rear suspension, front brake pads and rears sets.
For improved performance and fueling you might look into Dynojet's PCV with the wideband module.
The Yoshimura RS-9 Dual Slip-ons and BMC High Flow Air Filter will add to the performance and sound.
This bike is not perfect and has some issues not unlike other bikes as several of the folks here will be happy to share.

Last edited: