Which lightweight battery?

guzz46

I went with an Earthx EXT12B, its got built in electronics to protect it from over-charging, over-discharging, and it keeps the cells charge levels balanced.

I'm using the Aerovoltz battery that MNNTHBX sells. Very light and no complaints about performance. You do need to pad the battery since it is much smaller than stock if you want to use the stock battery strap to secure it. The Aerovoltz doesn't come with any foam to pad it with but it's not hard to find something cheap that works.

ASM

I know it's a battery, but how do you like it? I'm thinking about going with this one too....

Can't really say much about it since I haven't taken the new track bike out. So far, it starts the bike whenever pushed the button. I run the AM8 in my other track bike (GSX-R) and have never had any problems with it. Neither do my friends.

The only thing we had to do on the RC 390 is to cut out some of the foam to not have the cables bend too much. You also need to pull the cables a little bit from the reserve in order to get them to the connectors as the battery is pretty much half the size of the stock one...

At the end of the day, there is not much difference between e.g. the Ballistic or the Alien Motion...I just happened to like the looks of the Alien Motion better... ;)

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
So, I understand the weight savings. If you've made the change to a lithium battery, are you
*Racing,
or
*Just doing it for gratuitous weight savings/s**ts and giggles, having jettisoned a functioning lead-acid battery?

I keep thinking of one, but it's a fair bite of a shock that I really need worse...

Just askin'.

morssolis

I use a Moty designs 4 cell in by CBR 600RR for street and track. It has worked for several years without a problem, that is with sitting through winters without being touched. The first one I got from him crapped out in weeks, and he replaced it. This was when he was just starting pretty much, so I feel comfortable trying another for the RC.

MOTY Design

ASM

So, I understand the weight savings. If you've made the change to a lithium battery, are you
*Racing,
or
*Just doing it for gratuitous weight savings/s**ts and giggles, having jettisoned a functioning lead-acid battery?

I keep thinking of one, but it's a fair bite of a shock that I really need worse...

Just askin'.

I am not racing (yet) so at this point I just have a tendency to go over-board when building track bikes...my GSX-R is probably the most over-built bike for someone of my current talent level...but it looks outstanding... ;)

Would a 150CCA battery suffice? Also, how do you charge these batteries?

Ideally, you want to use a balancing charger. You want to avoid trickle charger that maintain the battery once fully loaded...

owspeed

Country flag
I just picked up the new Antigravity XPS SC1 4 cell battery ($119). Weighed .95 on my e-scale. Claimed to have much more CCA then their stock 4Cell.
I'll report back how it worked.

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

s30series

I just installed my Alien Motion AM4 battery...its literally the size of a cocktail glass. It weighs about the same to.

I had to yank on the positive side cables a little bit to get more length, and as I screwed on the terminal connections the wire "brackets" flattened out. Pushed the covers over each side, strapped it back....and the bike cranked right up like normal. Maybe a little faster, but can't really tell.

For an $85 battery that weighs less than a pound, I'll accept! I'm buying the AM8 for my Yamaha bolt.

psych0hans

Country flag
I just installed my Alien Motion AM4 battery...its literally the size of a cocktail glass. It weighs about the same to.

I had to yank on the positive side cables a little bit to get more length, and as I screwed on the terminal connections the wire "brackets" flattened out. Pushed the covers over each side, strapped it back....and the bike cranked right up like normal. Maybe a little faster, but can't really tell.

For an $85 battery that weighs less than a pound, I'll accept! I'm buying the AM8 for my Yamaha bolt.

i just ordered one of these... http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161639082491&globalID=EBAY-US I think it's similarly spec'd as the alien motion one... If it doesn't work on the 390 I have a track only ninja 250r which would love it... Lol