After owning a RC390, would you buy this bike?

unicorn_violence

The Husqvarna vitpilen 401 and 701 series. Husqvarna announced that they will be making street bikes starting 2017 with these bikes. from what i understand, the engines will be the same design as the 390 and the 690 with maybe a slight tuning for a little more cc? the bikes will also be made in the same Bajaj factory as the Duke and RC to reduce cost (except for the 701 which might be produced in Sweden). i think these bikes look fantastic! but since we are already familiar with the engine as well as Bajaj's QC, would you buy them? just curious what others opinions are on here.
here's some pics
husqvarna-701-vitpilen-concept-1.jpg
Husqvarna-401-Vitpilen-Concept-14.jpg
husqvarna-401-vitpilen-and-401-svartpilen-concepts-to-become-production-motorcycles-photo-galler.jpg

Last edited:

Diploman

I would buy the Vitpilen based on looks alone - it is brilliant, very much to my cafe racer taste. The chassis and power train are basically from the 390, well proven, capable and familiar. Of course, build quality will not be equal to the best European or Japanese products, but the price will presumably reflect that - a reasonable and worthwhile tradeoff. I do like that bike....

Ryanthegreat1

RC390 has given me a real bad taste of KTM. I love the bike but I hate the build quality. I was thinking I might pickup an RC8 as well but not so much now. Think I will stick with my tired and true Hondas.

Fasteddy

Country flag
The first KTM I owned is my 390, I was looking for an RC8 when I discovered the 390. Not long after the 390 I came across my SuperDuke, closely related to RC8 and the difference is night and day! The 390 has the Austrian engineering for sure, I would not hesitate to get an RC8 if my garage wasn't already full.

As for the new Husky's I am thinking the 701 (690) would be sweet...

Muckabucka

Country flag
While I'm emphatically against buying another Indian made KTM, I don't think I would have a problem getting a superduke or the like. For now I'll stick with my Ducati's for the road and the KTM and Ducazuki for the track. They both are pretty well sorted at the moment.

=maz=

Country flag
Nope...I am so disappointed with the build quality, powder-coating on the rims/frame, fasteners that are made of Paneer, seals that are made of re-used tyre-rubber and parts that fail.

I love riding the bike. The frame and engine performance are fantastic...QA/QC needs someone from head-office to go in kicking arse and taking names. Please don't start with the, "But it wouldn't be that cheap if it was made in Austria." BS...it doesn't need to be made in Austria to have Austrian-quality-control.

Treachery

Country flag
Nope...I am so disappointed with the build quality, powder-coating on the rims/frame, fasteners that are made of Paneer, seals that are made of re-used tyre-rubber and parts that fail.

I hadda look up paneer...

I love riding the bike. The frame and engine performance are fantastic...QA/QC needs someone from head-office to go in kicking arse and taking names. Please don't start with the, "But it wouldn't be that cheap if it was made in Austria." BS...it doesn't need to be made in Austria to have Austrian-quality-control.
I'm disappointed that the mothership/homeland boffins let it get this far, because you're right, it doesn't have to be like this: See US and Taiwan-built Hondas, China built BMWs (be interesting to see how the new 3xx cc BMW built in India comes out).

tecknojoe

Country flag
Yes!! that article sounds like they are also putting the 701 into production. if so, its time for me to start saving:cool:

Get the 701 supermoto. It's made for tall ass people like you. I owned a husky supermoto for a while, they're badass

701-01.jpg

Attachments

• 701-01.jpg
    701-01.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 403

RC390 Fan

That Husky looks sick.It'd be cool if someone made a road race kit for it but I doubt that will happen.

BTW with 1700 miles on it, so far my RC390 has been great. Except for the stalling problem that is extremely annoying and potentially dangerous, especially in city traffic. I hope the PCV fixes that when I get it installed.

Old3

Country flag
Ive been racing and riding KTMs since 96, and have had few issues season after season of motocross and everything from sumoto to enduro to street, 125-950. Id have paid another $2500 to get the 390 at the quality level and performance Id exoect from an Austrian or in house built version. Bajaj doesnt impress me, im getting deeper and finding about what id expect from this marriage.