Battery/ alternator??

cdull3

Simple question. Does anyone know if the bike has an alternator or if it recharges the battery by itself? I'm trying to hook up a charger for my phone and sena and wanna make sure it's not gonna kill the battery. I got just a simple one for a car will it work? Input is 12vdc+/- 4v, 14a. Output is 12v-12a Max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdull3

The one I bought is straight wired not a plug. So is it safe or not to hook straight to the battery that's my question

Fasteddy

Country flag
You MUST have a fuse / circuit breaker / protection if your connecting it direct to battery, positive side as close to battery as possible. Wire straight to battery can lead to disaster in the form of fire. No it is not safe.
Also you will inevitably have eventual issues with battery connections from globing other things on to the terminals, first issue I had to deal with on last two bikes I picked up and one of them was in last week!
The accessory leads really are the way to go, why else would some Engineer have put them there....

cdull3

You MUST have a fuse / circuit breaker / protection if your connecting it direct to battery, positive side as close to battery as possible. Wire straight to battery can lead to disaster in the form of fire. No it is not safe.
Also you will inevitably have eventual issues with battery connections from globing other things on to the terminals, first issue I had to deal with on last two bikes I picked up and one of them was in last week!
The accessory leads really are the way to go, why else would some Engineer have put them there....

So even if I wire in a fuse, it's still not safe? What type of connections are the leads? Could I simply find the connecting leads and just wire in the unit I wanna use then?

Fasteddy

Country flag
Yes , it is safe with a fuse. the leads are 1/4" flat blade push on female so you would need male to put on your wires.

cdull3

So even if I wire in a fuse, it's still not safe? What type of connections are the leads? Could I simply find the connecting leads and just wire in the unit I wanna use then?

Okay last questions. Sorry I'm a noob to bikes but we all have to start somewhere I guess if the accessory is shielded for 10 Amps and my charger is 12 max. Should I wire a 15 fuse between the two to play it safe or is that counter productive?

Fasteddy

Country flag
Don't worry about asking questions, thats how we learn...
This is a cell phone charger you are hooking up? do you have the model info on it? the info posted earlier seemed inccorect.

cdull3

Don't worry about asking questions, thats how we learn...
This is a cell phone charger you are hooking up? do you have the model info on it? the info posted earlier seemed inccorect.

This is what I got IMG_6649.JPG
2c6f816f2860873e73ab6d13103c8cd0.jpg
1170f3e91dbba747a8d153edd1ee1fd7.jpg

Fasteddy

Country flag
The 10 amp fuse will work fine, if your just using it for charging phones, USB etc it is only going to draw a few amps....

cdull3

The 10 amp fuse will work fine, if your just using it for charging phones, USB etc it is only going to draw a few amps....

I was gonna use it to charge my sena and phone at the same time. My sena uses a cigarette plug for charger. So would it be safer to add a 15amp fuse in between the accessory lead and charger?

Fasteddy

Country flag
The 10 will be fine, if it should pop then go to 15 but if the sena is the blue tooth thing and your phone is a Iphone it will be fine....

cdull3

The 10 will be fine, if it should pop then go to 15 but if the sena is the blue tooth thing and your phone is a Iphone it will be fine....

Well I searched all over my bike looking for the accessory plug and can't find it anywhere so I think I might just wire it straight to the battery with fuse and switch so I can turn it off when I don't need it

OldVet

Well I searched all over my bike looking for the accessory plug and can't find it anywhere so I think I might just wire it straight to the battery with fuse and switch so I can turn it off when I don't need it

They hid them under the cover in front of the battery box under this cover...

002.jpg

001.jpg