Mounted my iPhone 6 Today

octaneguy

I've been thinking where to mount my iPhone 6 to my RC390 for the past several weeks and came up with this solution. Because I use the QuadLock Case for my mountain bikes, I figured I could rig something up for my bike, so I started with the Wall Mount clip and chose a location that would let me view and control the iPhone best. I drilled a small hole for security. This decision took a long time before I decided to drill a hole.

03.IMG_9393.jpg04.IMG_9394.jpg05.IMG_9395.jpg
01.IMG_9389.jpg02.IMG_9390.jpg
Secured in place but removable if needed. The mount has sticky tape that can be removed with heat.
19.IMG_9414.jpg

The mount doesn't come with a screw, so this is what I bought. I also bought a lock nut to prevent it from loosening due to vibration. The top tab of the battery cover limits placement of the mount. Although it would have been nice to set the mount closer to the gas tank filler, the screw would have gotten in the way of the tab for the cover, so that's why I put it more forward.

28.IMG_9474.jpg27.IMG_9473.jpg
This was about as far forward as I could put it without compromising the integrity of the plastic from drilling a small hole.

23.IMG_9465.jpg 24.IMG_9466.jpg
When mounted, I can now view the phone in either portrait or landscape mode. I'm also adding the KTM power accessory port so I can keep it charged since my battery drops like crazy when I'm using it for navigation. I found a great iPhone charger on Amazon.

The way I use my phone is through Bluetooth to a SENA helmet speaker in my Arai. While I don't usually need to see the phone while I'm riding, it helps not having to fumble with it or worry about it. Recently I was on the freeway in the carpool lane with a low battery and after a couple miles of silence, realized the battery died since I had forgotten my charger that day. This will keep that from happening.

Last edited:

morssolis

I have been wanting to do something like this so I can use the gps. I do not know the roads around here at all. Have never seen a mount like this. I like it a lot. Do you think the adhesive is so strong that it would not come off of the paint if you wanted to remove?

I used a gopro adhesive mount on the front fairs of my CBR, and when I flipped it at the track the entire fairing broke around the mount. It was like a perfect hole ripped in the fairing, but the gopro was still attached lol.

Also did you consider a RAM mount?

What about mounting it on the battery cover? It would probably be affordable to replace if need be.

Last edited:

octaneguy

You can find the case and mounts at Quad Lock ? iPhone Bike Mounts. The adhesive is very strong but it will come off if you heat it up. I was concerned that the vibration might eventually have an effect on it, so I added a screw for additional security. The battery cover slopes and there are no flat areas for adhering the mount to reliably. I did consider a RAM mount but there is very little space on the clip ons to mount it.

I went for a ride today and it worked great. I kept looking down to see if it was still there lol. My plan is to add a "tether" via the lightning plug to keep it charged. I purchased the KTM power port accessory and sadly found that the included accessory port that looks like a female cigarette lighter plug is tiny and not compatible with anything in the USA. But I was able to find a standard cig lighter and use it along with the wiring kit and install it to the accessory ACC1 and ACC2 without issue.

IMG_9520.jpg

IMG_9517.jpg

IMG_9519.jpg

I have been wanting to do something like this so I can use the gps. I do not know the roads around here at all. Have never seen a mount like this. I like it a lot. Do you think the adhesive is so strong that it would not come off of the paint if you wanted to remove?

I used a gopro adhesive mount on the front fairs of my CBR, and when I flipped it at the track the entire fairing broke around the mount. It was like a perfect hole ripped in the fairing, but the gopro was still attached lol.

Also did you consider a RAM mount?

What about mounting it on the battery cover? It would probably be affordable to replace if need be.

aj@x

Pull the stem bolt off, put it in a drill press and drill it down then tapout to M8 thread then screw a ram mount into with a bit of blue loctite on the thread.