Battery tray cover

KTMGene390

So after working on my bike today I installed the battery tray cover as usual, noticed it wasn't locking in place like usual. I had a look at the locking mechanism, tried installing it off the bike to rule out alignment issues. I have confirmed the locking mechanism is broken and does not stay locked! KTM dropped the ball using extremely cheap parts in some areas of the bike. It's just too bad they don't understand reliability and customer service.

KTMGene390

So what exactly broke?

The locking mechanism latch that hooks onto the u-shaped steel hook underneath the battery tray. As a result the battery tray cover will pop off as you ride. I have confirm this by installing the locking mechanism off the bike onto the battery tray and if you pull on it even slightly it pops off.

KTMGene390

Well, it's a $5400 bike. Comes with the territory.

It's a cheap and fun bike. Actually, I don't know how they could sell it so cheap, perhaps KTM should give themselves more credit and sell the bike for more money so they can afford to use higher quality parts, i.e. rear shock, etc.

None of the Japanese counterparts by comparison have these issues. I owned a used '12 Ninja 250, rode the crap out of it and was sure something would not survive much longer, but it kepted on delivering. None of the other bikes I've owned had these issues either. Don't get me wrong I like my RC 390 I'm just saying what needs to be said.

Last edited:

A1VW2NV

Country flag
It's a cheap and fun bike. Actually, I don't know how they could sell it so cheap, perhaps KTM should give themselves more credit and sell the bike for more money so they can afford to use higher quality parts, i.e. rear shock, etc.

None of the Japanese counterparts by comparison have these issues. I owned a used '12 Ninja 250, rode the crap out of it and was sure something would not survive much longer, but it kepted on delivering. None of the other bikes I've owned had these issues either. Don't get me wrong I like my RC 390 I'm just saying what needs to be said.
Agreed! I love my bike but there are a few things that would have benefited from better (less cheaper) parts.

psych0hans

Country flag

1) it's not all that cheap, if you compare it to the Kawasaki, you'll note the price difference isn't all that great but the difference in quality is supposed to be.

2) Its cheap because it's made in India by Bajaj. Bajaj never quiet had a reputation for its amazingly high quality standards... THAT'S why it feels cheap... :p

3) It IS cheap in India, because it's locally manufactured and hence avoids all the import duties associated with the ninja 300. For a comparison, my 300 cost me approx $5800 OTD at today's currency conversion. The RC390 is approx $3800 OTD.

ray

The little RC/DUKE IS built cheap! Compared to the CBR250's and Yamaha R15's, the KTM is below average. Its mainly the fit and finish and even the gaskets/sealants give away to the high temps of the engine. There are loads of complaints about this and BAJAJ/KTM clearly is aware of it. So much that at the press launch the officials got pissed at me for bringing it up.

Anyway, I hope this makes them improve their upgrades to these models.

psych0hans

Country flag
The little RC/DUKE IS built cheap! Compared to the CBR250's and Yamaha R15's, the KTM is below average. Its mainly the fit and finish and even the gaskets/sealants give away to the high temps of the engine. There are loads of complaints about this and BAJAJ/KTM clearly is aware of it. So much that at the press launch the officials got pissed at me for bringing it up.
Shameful!!!