Blown gaskets. Is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

Tom

I asked before on here about head studs as well looks like the head studs are regarded as poor quality by the site's sponsors as well. You could get custom studs made if you want to spend the cash, but I decided that I'll just stick with the factory ones. I'm not sure how well the threading in the bottom end would hold up to a higher clamping force needed to make aftermarket studs worth while.

If you haven't been made aware, KTM revised the cylinder head sometime between '17 to '18 with an added support area in the coolant passage, next to the exhaust valves. From what I read on here, they did so without changing the part number. The '19 bikes also have different exhaust valves and I think it was a different intake cam (these actually do have a different part number).

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Is there a procedure that a home mechanic can use to evaluate the head bolts to identify any that should be discarded?

xgironx

KTM NA rebuilt my top-end over the winter at
822 miles after
head gasket failure.
Do I need to redo PONY390s 600-mile
Run-In period &
First Service?

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
KTM NA rebuilt my top-end over the winter at
822 miles after
head gasket failure.
Do I need to redo PONY390s 600-mile
Run-In period &
First Service?

If the rebuild included new rings and cylinder hone, then yes, it would be a good idea to follow the factory break-in procedure.

xgironx

Great. Thank you.
The dealer Ellicott City Motor Sports here did a great job representing me.
Their Tech Chris is rock-steady and I learned later, well-regarded by his peers at other shops here in Maryland.