Brake Upgrades

D

Deleted member 452

I installed a 320mm Galfer front rotor with matching rear rotor purchased from Cody at ktmperformance.com a couple days after I bought my bike last year so I can’t tell you how much better these rotors are over stock (they’re definitely lighter).

However, I installed Brembo pads (also purchased from ktmperformance.com) last month and they made a huge difference! They provide a lot more braking power with much less effort and give linear feedback (even when cold).

Last weekend, I also installed Speed Bleeders ($35 on eBay) and flushed ALL my brake fluid with Castrol SRF ($54 on Amazon). I used the entire bottle because I flushed the system a second time after braking while engaging ABS several times, then zip-tied my front brake lever overnight, and did a little “mushy lever be gone” ceremonial dance. It’s still not a Brembo radial master cylinder but 95% of the mush is gone and I can use 1 finger for casual riding and 2 fingers for more aggressive riding.

Bottom line- I recommend anyone thinking about brake upgrades to start with some good pads and flush/bleed your brakes with a quality brake fluid first since these 2 upgrades give the best bang for the buck.

I installed a 320mm Galfer front rotor with matching rear rotor purchased from Cody at ktmperformance.com a couple days after I bought my bike last year so I can’t tell you how much better these rotors are over stock (they’re definitely lighter).

However, I installed Brembo pads (also purchased from ktmperformance.com) last month and they made a huge difference! They provide a lot more braking power with much less effort and give linear feedback (even when cold).

Last weekend, I also installed Speed Bleeders ($35 on eBay) and flushed ALL my brake fluid with Castrol SRF ($54 on Amazon). I used the entire bottle because I flushed the system a second time after braking while engaging ABS several times, then zip-tied my front brake lever overnight, and did a little “mushy lever be gone” ceremonial dance. It’s still not a Brembo radial master cylinder but 95% of the mush is gone and I can use 1 finger for casual riding and 2 fingers for more aggressive riding.

Bottom line- I recommend anyone thinking about brake upgrades to start with some good pads and flush/bleed your brakes with a quality brake fluid first since these 2 upgrades give the best bang for the buck.

Awesome. Can't wait to do the same on my RC. The speed bleeders are not necessary, correct? I can still bleed the brakes manually with just some acrylic hose and the pump method, I'm guessing. Never done this before. Planning on installing a new caliper (my old has gunk in the pistons), flushing the fluid, installing new EBC HH brake pads, and then putting in new fluid and bleeding the air out. If done correctly, that should take all of half an hour, correct?

Following this Revzilla guide:

[video=youtube;2CE3RpnlyCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CE3RpnlyCM[/video]

The only thing the guide does not cover is actually removing and connecting a new caliper. I'm guessing that I should drain all of the brake fluid from my system first, THEN disconnect the brake cable from the old caliper. Then, with a totally dry system, swap out the calipers, and then begin the process of reintroducing new fluid, bleeding the air out, and repeating. Does that sound right?

Also, how does air not get reintroduced to the system when you open the reservoir to add any fluid that was lost during the first bleed cycle?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 452

You don't need speed bleeders to bleed or flush brake fluid but it sure makes it a lot easier when flushing because you're going to have to squeeze the lever/push down the pedal many many times. You also don't need to drain your system- Just flush/bleed it after you install the new parts (there will be a lot less air bubbles to chase this way). Removing the reservoir caps won't introduce air into the system- Caps are actually vented to prevent vacuum when you apply the brakes.

Treachery

Country flag
SpeedBleeders are the second mod I do on any bike I get, the first being to de-sticker and de-reflector.

Child

What thread size do you need to order for the Speed Bleeders? Save me pulling one out. Thx