Brand new 2022 5th gear glitch

Drstimpy

Elite Member
Country flag
I am 500 miles into ownership of my brand new 2022, RC 390. I’ve really been enjoying it and it is quite a fun machine but it does something weird. I’m in fifth gear between 3500 and 4000 rpm. When I open the throttle quickly it surges and bucks. It doesn’t happen in any other gear or rpm combination. That makes me think that it could be a software problem. Any thoughts?

pineappleguru

Country flag
The 390's are known to run lean in open loop (when cruising) the sudden addition of throttle moves the map to closed loop and the fuel mixture can't richen fast enough. FuelX lite or pro is the solution. You should see similar effects in other gears if you cruise and then roll on throttle aggressively.

leerc3902022

Country flag
Yes, I agree!
The quick shifter will not correct operator error. At 3500 rpm your at roughly 50% of engine power. Attempting to quickly open the throttle and expect to have instant power with no hesitation is not going to happen. If you read my response it says "don't lug it" 3500rpm on a small bore single is lugging it. At break in it this can be just as bad as immediately redlining it.

The side of my bike says "Ready to race" maybe yours says "lug it and baby it". Not sure.

Also, if your looking at adding an aftermarket solution to lug the shit out of this thing? Your doing it wrong....

pineappleguru

Country flag
MY bike has a fuel x lite and a full exhaust and intake. With the unrestricted airflow and a richer closed loop fueling, I experience none of these problems. Rolling on as low as 2500 rpm the bike shoots to life. The problem is the fueling / airflow due to the 2022 models adherance to BS6.

Drstimpy

Elite Member
Country flag
I get all the attitude about “don’t lug it” etc. On the street it’s pretty easy to find yourself at 4000. Especially when the tach is yelling at you over 6500 For the first 600 miles. Go figure…
That attitude is really not interesting and you clearly didn’t read my post. The motor pulls CLEANLY in EVERY other gear besides 5th including 6th at 4000 when I open the throttle aggressively. This most likely is a software problem that aftermarket fueling will fix but I found it to be interesting.