Difficulty Shifting from 5th to 6th

Occasionally, when under hard acceleration, either because I am working the controls too quickly or something is wrong mechanically, the bike will go "in between" gears 5 and 6, showing a blank spot on the LCD where the gear indicator number is - when I release the clutch, the engine revs like crazy as if it were in neutral, until a moment or two later, 6th gear engages abruptly and with a lurch. This is always at high speed and high RPM, above 60mph and 7000rpm (guessing), so I imagine it can't be good for the gearbox.

I think the shifter pedal requires a stronger upward motion to get from 5th to 6th than it does for any other gear change, because I never seem to have this problem with any other gear. I can tell that I am at fault sometimes when this happens because if I take a breath and make a conscious choice to slowly and purposefully change from 5th to 6th, I have no trouble. However when I do a natural, quick shift from 5th to 6th the way I would for any other gear change, for some reason the bike likes to go in between gears for a moment. It can be a little freaky on the highway.

Wondering if anyone has had an experience like this with this bike before. Is it possible that I have damaged the gearbox this way? I would imagine that it would put a lot of strain on the teeth that are on the "sides" of the gears since they abruptly engage one another after the engine has just been running at very high RPM momentarily (when the bike thinks it's in neutral).

I have some long road trips and a track weekend coming up and I'd like to see if I can nip the problem in the butt before then. Wondering if it is as simple as tweaking the nuts on the shifter lever itself to allow more reliable shifting from 5th to 6th.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

74d34h

My wife's rc was doing this and she was having hunting for neutral issues. I adjusted the shift rod and her shifting issues never returned. I think I read it on this forum. While you are down there tighten your kickstand bolts they will eventually back out. I took the forum advice and put blue loctite on them. I hope the shift rod fixes your issue.

Funny you should mention. My kickstand was loose recently so I removed the whole assembly, loctite blue'd the fasteners and reassembled. I'll try adjusting the shift rod.