Broken Heel Guards on Tyga Rearsets

green_bread

Country flag
My right heel guard is cracked in exactly the same spot as the pics below after 2 track days. I checked with DCMoney to see if he ever heard anything back after sending in the pics that were requested and he said he hasn't. Just wanted to bring this up and see if there was anything we can do to get it fixed. The parts look great and I expected them to be a little tougher since they are carbon fiber, but they are pretty thin and very flexible with minimal pressure. Let me know if any other details are needed.

green_bread

Country flag
Shame nothing has been said yet, the 2 390s in my garage have Tyga rearsets and all heal guards are broke.

Agreed. As soon as I get my bike back from MotoEuropa, I will take pics of where mine is broken and post it up here. Not trying to call out Tyga or anything, but it would be nice to hear whether we can get these fixed/get replacements, etc.

=maz=

Country flag
You can't really be surprised that they broke.
With all due respect to Tyga, that design always looked like it would break sooner or later...CF heel guard, wasn't a great idea.

DCMoney

Country flag
I'm going to Cad up some heal guards for my Tyga rear sets and have them laser cut - will post pics when installed

A flat plate will interfere with the rear mastercylinder. Its beyond my works capabilities currently to do small bends that would be required to clear the MC.

What I'll probably do is use spacers to keep the MC on the same plane and put the heal guard on the outer side of the rearset.

I started on this yesterday just going off pictures, need to pull my healguard off and get some actually measurements.

green_bread

Country flag
UPDATE:

I had a lengthy discussion with Matt from Formula 390 over the weekend about these guards and he told me that Tyga has revised the guards to beef them up a little bit. He is also offering warranty replacements to people who bought the rearsets from Formula 390 or one of the dealers that get parts from them. I sent him pics of my broken guards and he is going to ship out the revised version at no additional charge. I also talked to him and provided some feedback on why I think these things are breaking. Hoping that the revised design keeps mine from breaking again, but if it does, we will discuss some other options.

Anyone else who has the Tyga rearsets with broken heel guards should contact Matt with Formula 390. He is a great guy to deal with and will get you taken care of, if possible. Hopefully, we can put this issue to bed soon! :)

A flat plate will interfere with the rear mastercylinder. Its beyond my works capabilities currently to do small bends that would be required to clear the MC.

What I'll probably do is use spacers to keep the MC on the same plane and put the heal guard on the outer side of the rearset.

I started on this yesterday just going off pictures, need to pull my healguard off and get some actually measurements.

I have been busy with other work and still have not got around to this- I was thinking in the same lines as to using a spacer and fixing the new heel guard on the outside- makes it easy and can then make any size shape I desire ............................

Matt@TYGA

Supporting Vendor
Hi Guys,

FYI, we have redesigned the heel guard for added strength. It's now a lot stronger, so hopefully these cracked parts are a thing of the past. Strange how we've sold these for years for the Aprilia without any issues.

I reckon you blokes need to calm down a bit. You're obviously riding these things too hard!!!

Anyway, best I get back to the job in hand. Got something rather sexy on the CNC machine right now that you guys might be interested in ;-)

Cheers,

Matt.

Metals 907

Nice to see a manufacturer backing up the product. Certainly gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when thinking of becoming a consumer of said product line.

stevieboy

Country flag
Now I definitely would buy these instead of the ebay Chinese stuff. Because Thailand would be better than China, right?...Right?

Last edited:

Metals 907

Many moons ago you'd hear about Japanese junk. Not so much anymore. China, thailand, India etc. Have caught up to the times. A little research goes a long way to determining the quality of an overseas product.

green_bread

Country flag
Hi Guys,

FYI, we have redesigned the heel guard for added strength. It's now a lot stronger, so hopefully these cracked parts are a thing of the past. Strange how we've sold these for years for the Aprilia without any issues.

I reckon you blokes need to calm down a bit. You're obviously riding these things too hard!!!

Anyway, best I get back to the job in hand. Got something rather sexy on the CNC machine right now that you guys might be interested in ;-)

Cheers,

Matt.

Thank you, Matt! Im excited to get my hands on the new guard (should be here in the next day or two) to see how much they have been beefed up. The feedback that I gave Matt @ Forumula390 was that I am 100%, for sure, not putting my foot on top of the guard. I believe that with the race tail and these rearsets, it changes your seating position on the bike a little bit, but its enough that its a little more difficult to "anchor" yourself to the bike by using the inside of your thigh on the side of the tank. Because of this, youre forced to use more pressure in your foot/heel to try and lock yourself to the bike when hanging off. Couple that with the master cylinder being RIGHT there and creating a "pressure point" when the guard flexes and touches it, and it starts to become more clear as to why these things are breaking. Also, the original guard was SUPER flexible. As in I was taking one finger and pushing against it and felt like it was going to break with very minimal pressure. This is not criticism as much as Im just trying to offer information from my findings after using these at the track. Here are a couple picture showing how my right foot is positioned (the side that broke on my bike) when hanging off to the left. Look at how far in my right heel is. This is me applying pressure to the peg/guard (if it were still there) trying to anchor to the bike:

13320373_1389104577783415_2869973354207981384_o.jpg

13346290_1389104604450079_1576551748342392944_o.jpg

13329417_1389104691116737_8221538124758970646_o.jpg

13340285_1389104514450088_266999660255703307_o.jpg

Many moons ago you'd hear about Japanese junk. Not so much anymore. China, thailand, India etc. Have caught up to the times. A little research goes a long way to determining the quality of an overseas product.

Except for these bikes, themselves... amirite? :)

stevieboy

Country flag
Hey c'mon now. Its all good as long as you follow all the manufacturer/dealers instructions-whichever you believe and as long as you follow the recommended service schedule-whichever you believe, and if all else fails you have a nice one year warranty....or is it two?

unicorn_violence

Now I definitely would buy these instead of the ebay Chinese stuff. Because Thailand would be better than China, right?...Right?

if i remember correctly, the Ducati Scrambler is made in Thailand. Asia production definitely isn't the same as China production. for example, any mid to high-quality bicycle produced (Bianchi, Trek, Giant, Kona Etc) is actually 90% of the time built in Taiwan. and if i remember correctly, they are also know for their high quality carbon fiber production for bicycles. bikes made in China however, are sold in Walmarts and Kmarts for 100 bucks lol

Matt@TYGA

Supporting Vendor
if i remember correctly, the Ducati Scrambler is made in Thailand. Asia production definitely isn't the same as China production. for example, any mid to high-quality bicycle produced (Bianchi, Trek, Giant, Kona Etc) is actually 90% of the time built in Taiwan. and if i remember correctly, they are also know for their high quality carbon fiber production for bicycles. bikes made in China however, are sold in Walmarts and Kmarts for 100 bucks lol

Yes, the Scrambler is made here, as are a couple of other Ducatis. As are all the Triumphs. About the only thing that the automotive big boys struggle with here in Thailand is hot forged aluminium parts. Rumour has it that Taiwan is the place for this, but it's only a matter of time.....

Ok firstly I have never had a problem with the Tyga Heel guards I just wanted a larger size and made in aluminium so I drew some up in cad and had them water cut- I have kept the top shape of the guard exactly the same for both sides - angle height etc .. and designed the fixing points to fit the Tyga rear sets - will fit up in the weekend and if all good will shape the edges and polish them up - wont be everyone's cup of tea but just custom for my liking -

DSC05407.JPGDSC05408.JPG

jjtard

Ok firstly I have never had a problem with the Tyga Heel guards I just wanted a larger size and made in aluminium so I drew some up in cad and had them water cut- I have kept the top shape of the guard exactly the same for both sides - angle height etc .. and designed the fixing points to fit the Tyga rear sets - will fit up in the weekend and if all good will shape the edges and polish them up - wont be everyone's cup of tea but just custom for my liking -

View attachment 2704View attachment 2705
I'd buy a pair!!!