Canyon Junkie Tire Comparison

MrGrody

After trying all three sets of tires I wanted to try on my RC I decided to give my feedback on the three and possibly give some insight for other riders looking for tire selections. I'm not comparing longevity of the tires as I wear the shoulders and edges way before I'll ever wear down the middle. I'll be grading on Grip , Handling , and Price. Points totalled at end.

All tires were tested in same canyon. Same pressure (30/30) . Dry conditions. Same weather. All sets had a 150 rear.

Tires tested.

Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
Bridgestone S20evo
Shinko 006 Podium

Round 1 - Grip

3rd Place - Diablos

Of the three tires the Diablos were the only ones that actually lost traction during aggressive riding. Although it was a minor push this was the only indication of loss. However if the three , the Diablos seemed to be the "hardest" as they weren't as smooth thru the turns and tended to feel as if the weren't seated to the pavement.

2nd Place - S20evo

Less chatter then the Diablos in turns. And all around decently smooth feel of being stuck to the ground in turns.

1st Place - Shinko 006

Smoothest feel of the 3 tires. Consistent Grip at leans and never sent any signal of missing traction. Solid stick from entry to exit.

Round 2 - Handling

3rd Place - Shinko 006

Of the three this tire struggled the most with transitions. (granted the weight of the bike, bars setup and my size... This was not terrible. Just simply noticeable compared to the other two tires.

2nd Place - Rosso II

More flickable then the shinko but out performed by the S20evo

1st Place - S20evo

Simply easier to transition with the evos. Effortless most of the time.

Round 3 - Price

Rosso II & S20evo comparable pricing depending on outlet.

Shinko 006 - $60 to $80 cheaper than the other two sets.

Final points

006 Podium - 7
S20 Evo - 6
Rosso II - 4

My new tire love for the RC is (surprisingly) the shinko 006 podiums. Didn't expect it. But glad I gave them a shot.

Any other sets anybody has ran let me know. Maybe I'll give em a shot down the road.

KTManny

I was just thinking today (While riding) "I need to see some reviews on what my next tires are going to be. (Have Diablo Rosso's on right now).
Thanks for posting this!

+1 ;)

SWdragon

Country flag
I like this thread, I have the Rosso II 140 rear and 110 front. I have had three times where the front felt like it was sliding and I even e-mailed Pirelli about it and they of course said it had to be road conditions. Yesterday, I ordered (from Motorcycle Superstore) Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's in the 150 and 110 size, will get them tomorrow and mount them Saturday. I've run these before on bigger bikes with no problems, I will post a review once I try them on the RC. I really wish Dunlop would make the Q3's in a size to fit the RC as this is what I currently run on my Aprillia and Suzuki and love them.

SWdragon

Country flag
I'm happy to report that the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT work great, confidence in the front tire is back. I did two runs up and down US129 this morning in high 50/ low 60 degree air temperatures with no problem with grip.

zaster

Country flag
Not a fan of the Rossi II. Lost the front but mostly the rear while running 26 psi on my favorite mountain road.
I'm thinking about trying out the Bridgestone DOT slicks next.

Great post. I had Rosso II's first, got Metzeler's next, and went back to Rosso II's a week ago because the Metzelers felt way less grippy and had more chatter than the diablos ever did. However I never looked at the other tires you tested here. Maybe Shinko next time...

MrGrody

Great post. I had Rosso II's first, got Metzeler's next, and went back to Rosso II's a week ago because the Metzelers felt way less grippy and had more chatter than the diablos ever did. However I never looked at the other tires you tested here. Maybe Shinko next time...
The Shinko surprised the hell outta me.