Clutch wear, replacement, and gasket

23,000mi on 2016 rc390. Haven't ridden it much this year because riding an sv650 more frequently. Noticed the past several months that the clutch feels light and seems to have a narrower friction zone than I remembered it having in previous years. Wondering if clutch plates are worn since I tend to feather the clutch and abuse it a bit (have been breaking that habit lately and only feathering clutch at parking lot speeds in 1st gear, hairpin turns etc.) However, I don't think there is any clutch slip and power seems to be even and consistent with before, so i'm not actually sure if the plates are worn out after all.

I'm wondering if perhaps it is purely a psychological thing given that I have gotten used to riding the sv650 which has a much heavier clutch and a broad friction zone - perhaps it is in my head. Anyone experience this going from bigger bikes to the rc390?

What are your thoughts? Is 23,000mi about time to change clutch plates? I asked my local shop and they said clutch plates typically do not wear out even during the entire life of the bike, let alone 23k. The manual is light on clutch replacement info. Says nothing about clutch cover gasket. Should I replace the clutch cover gasket if I remove it, or is it typically left intact when removing the cover?

Thanks!

Honestly, I'm surprised that you were able to get 23,000 miles out of the engine!

If the clutch is worn, just replace it :)

Technically, I didn't. The top end blew at 20,000 miles. :p

Kodak, where in the Bay Area are you? I'm in Oakland, but moving to Portland, OR in a few weeks.