Coleman 4x4 !!!

JKBC

Went up to Parksville to pick up my front and rear KTM 'lifting devices' and continued on to Port Alberni (for the 1st time) and further to Sproat lake hoping to see one of the last 2 surviving Martin Mars ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_JRM_Mars )...and they were both there!
Hawaii Mars was just used to fight forest fires again, but the contract is over...her future uncertain. Philippine Mars has been sold or traded and will be going to Florida....it is already painted in the dark blue US Navy scheme all 7 would have been wearing 70 years ago. These are the last 2 surviving Martin Mars. 200 foot wingspan on them. But I noticed a weird big short truck at their base as well....it is a Coleman (!)...4-wheel drive, diesel and they do use it to haul both Mars around. These aren't amphibious (with retractable landing gear) and have the wheels bolted on and off to haul them out and back into the water. Fuel consumption of those huge radials is awesome but so is oil consumption.
Hawaii Mars at base -a.jpgPhillipine Mars at base -b.jpgColeman 4x4 -b.jpg
Look between the front and back wheels of the Coleman...that looks like solid steel/iron ballast?...Whoa!!!...Totally Awesome. I don't know which of them is the most impressive....hard decision.

Last edited:

JKBC

That truck is super cool! Never seen one before. Thanks for the post.

You're welcome.
I wonder if the front wheels don't turn due to it's size and weight...and the tires maybe aren't full of air but something solid?
So if that's how it is it would be turned by being able to move each wheel forward or back independently sort of thing...or the left and right side independently like a tank or tracked bulldozer.
I'd like to go back and find out more about it....maybe see it run.

Chris The Welder

Foam filled tires are common these days, used to be water and calcium chloride if I remember correctly. As far as steering goes, not a clue. Sure is cool though. Love stuff like this, partly why I like the RC 390, it's a little different. Still not another one in the town I live in. Everywhere I go someone wants to check it out.

JKBC

Foam filled tires are common these days, used to be water and calcium chloride if I remember correctly. As far as steering goes, not a clue. Sure is cool though. Love stuff like this, partly why I like the RC 390, it's a little different. Still not another one in the town I live in. Everywhere I go someone wants to check it out.

I've had a guy ask if he could take a picture of mine, you notice people looking at it often and really it makes economy cars look like gas guzzlers. It's today's equivalent of the little Ducati singles of the 1960's-1974 (which Ducati have blown by not making anything like them for decades now) which also made me want to get one long before they brought them to N.America. And for 6 thousand new (before taxes, freight, etc). The ABS is great too for times like having to stop where there is gravel at the end of a lane-way, etc. I love mine.

Re: the water and calcium chloride...I'd sort of hope that's what's in their Coleman's tires then since they must be using vintage fluids and things where-ever it still works well as with the huge radial engines and other mechanical's of both Martin Mars.
Older bikes like Norton Commando's and even my 900SS Ducati work best with 50W....put multi-grade in them and they will leak and burn it.

Last edited:

JKBC

3 more pictures

When I first saw Hawaii Mars it was from a Provincial Park a fair ways away to the west of it but it still made for a staggering sight. Then I drove on some paved back roads in its' direction and found their base. The security guard let me in and told me as much as he knew...including the Coleman when I asked what it was. I couldn't get closer than that to both Philippine Mars and the Coleman unfortunately but their size requires you being far anyways to get them in the picture.
Hawaii Mars-from P.Park.jpgPhillipine Mars at base -a.jpgHawaii Mars at base -b.jpg