Cutting off within the first minute..

chrisv102581

when i start it up cold, it will idle for a minute or so then it will shut off.... and then it takes a little more cranking then normal to restart.. anyone else haven't this problem?

Guyhowdy

when i start it up cold, it will idle for a minute or so then it will shut off.... and then it takes a little more cranking then normal to restart.. anyone else haven't this problem?

I've heard of the engine stopping when trying to ride off before the bike has warmed up or reached at least 3 bars, but not stopping while idling and warming up. You should take it in and have it checked out.

MrGrody

I usually start mine and immediately kick up the stand and ride off. Never had a problem on this bike or any other fuel injected bike for that matter

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Seth

Country flag
I usually start mine and immediately kick up the stand and ride off. Never had a problem on this bike or any other fuel injected bike for that matter

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Me too. Defiantly get it checked at the dealer.

Tomjenkins

I've heard of the engine stopping when trying to ride off before the bike has warmed up or reached at least 3 bars, but not stopping while idling and warming up. You should take it in and have it checked out.

I have this where if I ride off straight away when the engines cold, the choke is still trying to work and will then stall the bike if I come to a stop soon after. But once started after that no more problems when warm. This is normal for this bike according to the dealer.

Do get it checked out though just to be safe, I ignored a problem like this on my duke 125 and subsequently it burnt out the engine valves due to faulty parts when it was manufactured.

emeglasson

Might look at the hoses that go to the evap canister under the left fairing. If they are routed improperly, (or if you removed it) it will stall. A few people have had their bikes delivered with the hoses routed incorrectly causing the hoses to melt through. That is an easy thing to check.

Treachery

Country flag
Mine does this, 95% of the time:
*Start (easy)
*Idle (maybe a little rough at first, but smooths out quickly)
I put on my helmet and gloves, and mount up.
*Sidestand up
*Put it in gear: Dies.
It will start back up almost immediately, maybe a little harder than the "cold" start.

Did it before and after the PC-V. so, it's CPU related. Dealer's answer? No code. Yeah, it does that. Maybe let it warm up longer.

:confused: :mad:

Never dies on the road, and never does it after full warm so...I guess fuggit.

RC390 Fan

Mine shut off once. I raised the idle just a bit and it has not stalled since. Well, um, other than me forgetting the kick stand once in a while.

This bike does not idle smoothly or even like to stay below 6k for that matter. Maybe it will smooth out given some time.

Last edited:

RC_AB

The reason they idle rough for a couple mins (and can stall) is that for the first minute of so the ECU is talking with the sensors, getting air temp, A/F readings etc and adjusting to that. Every KTM (even dirtbikes) that are EFI do that (This is from the KTM school). Before they go out the door they are supposed to be "Initialized", let it idle for 3 mins and then rev it to 7,000K and it'll have it's readings, as you ride it will adjust from that base setting and change it's values from there. We haven't had an issue since then with the dirtbikes. I have had my RC rough idle a couple times but it goes away pretty quick (by the time I throw my gear on), I have had to "reinitialize" it once when I was on a trip and came out the next morning to go (I was up alot higher in altitude though).

Tobi-Miller

Hey,
i have the same problems with my RC.

I will check vacuum lines to the canister. I guess it’s the issue posted here:
http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/ktm-rc-390-general-discussion-forum/388-melted-hose-fairing.html
Can somebody explain what these lines are for? I just want to understand why this could lead to a stalled engine when cold.

And what RC_AB posted sounded very interesting but I do not get it 100% (a little translation problem). So I have to turn the engine on and let it idle for 3 minutes. Then I pull it up to 7000 rpm still standing? Or just ride it and pull it up to 7000 rpm? (I just finished my first 1000 km so I reached the 7000 rpm just twice for a very short time.)

Thanks and greetings!

Tobi-Miller

Hey!
Got the same problem with my RC. Sometimes the engine stalls when putting in the first gear or stopping after a few meters. Only when the engine is cold.
As suggested I checked the routing of the vacuum lines but I only have one? There is one hose leading from the gas tank (I think) to the left fairing the way to the bottom faring. Is this OK?
I always read “lines“ (plural) that’s why I am asking.

And in this post I somehow see two hoses:
http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/kt...8-melted-hose-fairing.html?highlight=canister
(Or is it only one hose got loose!?)

Here is a pic how it looks at my RC:

34544.jpg

And what RC_AB wrote sounds interesting to me but I didn’t get it 100%. What do I have to do to initialize the ECU? I turn on the engine and let it idle for 3 minutes. Then I pull of the throttle to 7000 rpm. After this procedure I just start riding as normal. Am I Right?

Thanks for the help so far!

Tobi-Miller

Sorry for the double post. Still stuck in the adminpermission and i thought i did something wrong with the first post.
Btw. no need to explain what the vacuum lines are for i figured it out.

KTMGene390

The only thing optional to do though recommended is to simply let it idle for 2 or 3 minutes or two bars to allow the engine to warm up a little bit just like an old fashioned carbureted dirtbike. It has nothing to do with any other theories. Also if you are at higher altitude there is less air so you may have trouble starting your bike or at any altitude when it is extremely hot out you may have trouble as well, this is typical and the behavior varies from different motor designs and EFI control systems.

Tobi-Miller

I know what u mean but the sad thing is that this bike is no old fashioned carbureted dirtbike :(
Btw. my old fashioned carbureted dirtbike had never these (kind of) issues. Ok that’s now 14 years ago. :p