Diy Quickshifter using Arduino uno

jassim313

Hey guys this is my first post here .I was thinking of making a Quick Shifter for my bike using a pressure sensor and the widely used micro controller Arduino uno .The pressure sensor will be attached to the gear lever .This is how i want it to work ,When the pressure sensor on the gear lever reach a certain threshold ,a signal would be send to the micro controller to cut off the ignition for few milliseconds ,say (60 ms) .When the sensor is back at the normal level it will enable the ignition again .The output ports of Arduino uno can send only 5v signals .So the 5v signal must trip a relay which is in NC position to NO.Im a noob when it comes to electronics .Could anyone please help in making the project. Thanks .;)

SneakyOwl

If you are a "noob with electronics", wouldn't it just be much wiser to buy a done-deal quickshifter from Dynojet or something?

shreeshar7

Hey,
There are several parameters u need to be looking at,when building a quickshifter.
If you want it to work properly you'll also need to be drawing signal from the ckp(crank position sensor) , this is necessary because the bike needs different kill times (cut off time) at different rpms for a smooth shift.

U can intercept the wire that goes to ht coil and wire it through the 5v relay.
The shift rod has to be cut /shortened so that u can fit the pressure sensor in-between.
The whole quickshifter circuit has to be through the clutch lever switch so that i disables while you're using clutch.

If you do it without ckp signals, it might not give u smooth shifts at all rpms.
Good luck.

reenmachine

Country flag
Hey,
There are several parameters u need to be looking at,when building a quickshifter.
If you want it to work properly you'll also need to be drawing signal from the ckp(crank position sensor) , this is necessary because the bike needs different kill times (cut off time) at different rpms for a smooth shift.

U can intercept the wire that goes to ht coil and wire it through the 5v relay.
The shift rod has to be cut /shortened so that u can fit the pressure sensor in-between.
The whole quickshifter circuit has to be through the clutch lever switch so that i disables while you're using clutch.

If you do it without ckp signals, it might not give u smooth shifts at all rpms.
Good luck.

Pretty sure almost none of this is true. Look at the Healtech thread for more info:

http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/en...e-monkey-motorsports-installation-review.html

If you splice into the injector wiring you can get RPM from the rate of the injector pulses being sent.

A sensor can be made to work with the unmodified stock rod due to the available range of adjustability.

It doesn't need to be disabled when using the clutch. You'll never notice the difference and 50-100 ms of fuel cut during a normal shift will be imperceptible.

Not that I'd do any of that with an arduino though. I mean, you could do it, and it probably wouldn't be all that difficult, but you're not going to end up with a compact, weatherproof, robust package capable of withstanding the vibration and possibly thermal environment you're going to subject it to.

Hello.
you have to consider 2 different shifters : up shift and down shift.

down shift requires a ride by wire system, and is really complicated to develop and tune.
this is part of my job, àd the functionality is integrated in the ecu that controls the complete injection system.
i do not imagine how we could add this functionality to a bike already equipped with ride by wire

Up shift is the easy part
you do not need arduino, and almost no electronic. There is an easy and convinient trick....
you use your pressure sensor on the gear linkage as you planned, and you simulate the side stand extended when the up shift is rquested by the rider.
then the ecu will cut the engine the time the gear engage, and will restart automatically after.
in some cases you have to add specific timming for minimum time of engine deactivation, and/or time-out to avoid engine stalling in case or too long activation.
note that it exists pressure sensor working as on/off and not analogic.
so with some basic electronic, without microcontroller, you can get the functionality.

keep us informed. I would be glad to support by any mean.

reenmachine

Country flag
Hello.
you have to consider 2 different shifters : up shift and down shift.

down shift requires a ride by wire system, and is really complicated to develop and tune.
this is part of my job, àd the functionality is integrated in the ecu that controls the complete injection system.
i do not imagine how we could add this functionality to a bike already equipped with ride by wire

Up shift is the easy part
you do not need arduino, and almost no electronic. There is an easy and convinient trick....
you use your pressure sensor on the gear linkage as you planned, and you simulate the side stand extended when the up shift is rquested by the rider.
then the ecu will cut the engine the time the gear engage, and will restart automatically after.
in some cases you have to add specific timming for minimum time of engine deactivation, and/or time-out to avoid engine stalling in case or too long activation.
note that it exists pressure sensor working as on/off and not analogic.
so with some basic electronic, without microcontroller, you can get the functionality.

keep us informed. I would be glad to support by any mean.

That's a clever trick if you can get the timing right!

jassim313

Been busy with some work lately .Will get my hands on the project from tomorrow .This is the relay i will be using . https://www.amazon.com/Henglifu-Rel...8&qid=1478374660&sr=1-1&keywords=5V+30A+RELAY .Im not aware of the amount of current flowing into the coil. so just to be on the safe side i will be using the 30Amp relay. To trigger the relay i will be using a simple push button connected to the 5v power supply of arduino .If everything goes well ,i will replace the switch with the sensor . Will keep you all updated with the pictures .Thanks :D