Does dealer have to ride new motorcycle?

corners

Does a dealer have to ride a new motorcycle before selling it (i.e. some kind of law) or can one just buy a crated motorcycle (i.e. one with 0.0 miles on it)?

In other words can I just buy it off the floor and do the setup at home?

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Yes you can buy "in the crate" but most likely will void your warranty if you assemble it yourself.

JKBC

Does a dealer have to ride a new motorcycle before selling it (i.e. some kind of law) or can one just buy a crated motorcycle (i.e. one with 0.0 miles on it)?

In other words can I just buy it off the floor and do the setup at home?

Some collectors have new bikes in their shipping crate. There used to be a Norton dealer in Shakespeare Ontario...Dick Wilson and the place was called Shakespeare Cycle. Dick died in a road accident around 1993. He and one of his brothers split on a 1974 Norton Commando which had a white with blue stripe paint-job (in 1974) and never took it out of the crate although they cut a flap in the crate to let it be seen inside at times. They even took it to a few bike shows in the crate. I hope that his brother still has it like that.

But a lot of vehicles are driven at the assembly plant a little bit to check everything seems to be OK.

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
I've never seen a literally zero mile vehicle. AFAIK, everything is driven/ridden a little before shipment. I imagine the only way you'd get one in the crate is if you have a very good relationship with the selling dealer. Even then, I'd agree with A1VW2NV, and suspect there'd be warranty issues.

justducs

it is part of the service check list to ride the bike everytime. but you should be able to buy a crate bike too. customer is always right :cool:

if you are doing it not to pay the "Setup Charge", you should negotiate not paying it! Those are BS charges anyways. I didn't pay setup or freight. bike only plus +tax and reg.

Seth

Country flag
The Idea is really cool but give your dealer a chance to: 1. Make sure everything is okay,testing etc. 2. Allow the dealer to make some money to pay their employees and taxes (it is way more than you think $$$$$$) 3. Retention of warranty.

RC_AB

Depends on the dealer, and as Treachery said, none come with 0.0 on them as they are tested in the factory.

Certain KTM models you couldn't though, the 1190&1290ADV,RC8 and the Superduke came in transport lock mode, they will not start until they are put on the computer and the lock is removed from the ecu The 390 and 690 do not though, so you'd be okay there.

Backmarker

I did get my RC390 loaded in my truck in the crate, it was part of our deal. I paid no setup charge. And prepped it myself, it will be a race bike, I didn't ask about warranty because I was taking it to the track, so I just figured no warranty. It's not a cup bike.