ecu Flash?

74d34h

So I am looking at a winter project on my wife's RC390 doing a werkes exhaust and PCV from Hardracing. However, all my bikes get an ecu flash first to remove restrictions etc. Does this bike need it? I hit 111mph before the governor bumped back down to 109mph. There was more rpms to go before redline. Other than this issue is there a flash and if so is it worth it? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

74d34h

You need it if you want your bike to make more power and operate smoothly. Buy the PCV from Chad at Welcome to KTM Performance and he'll preinstall a map devolped on the dyno based on similar mods or buy the unit for a little bit less elsewhere and make an appointment for a dyno session since Dynojet's website currently only lists 2 maps.

Power Commander Motorcycle Fuel Injection Tuning Module

Thanks for the reply. I am aware you need a fuel management, my question was more in line of ecu flashing before installing a PCV. I was looking at the Powertronics but that would compete with a PCV or Bazzaz. I am just looking for a clean setup with exhaust, not expecting massive gains on this small bike.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
So I am looking at a winter project on my wife's RC390 doing a werkes exhaust and PCV from Hardracing. However, all my bikes get an ecu flash first to remove restrictions etc. Does this bike need it? I hit 111mph before the governor bumped back down to 109mph. There was more rpms to go before redline. Other than this issue is there a flash and if so is it worth it? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is only one map available ecu wise at the moment. Just the Akrapovic/cup map from KTM. It turns off purge valve and raises rev limit to 10,250. Depending on what country you are in whether is has purge valve or not. There is no other way to read/write these ecu's at the moment. You can turn the rev Xtend on in the PCV to raise rev limit. The stock engine doesn't really need it though, you can bump to 11k if desired. An exhaust system, air filter, and lid mod does wonders for the stock engine ;)

Old3

Country flag
How deep in the bike us the ECU. Under the tank? I picked my bike up in Texas last week and rode it back to NJ. Now I'm thinking about shipping the ECU back for the flash before I add an exhaust. I haven't gone beyond just pulling off the seat, lol.

Thanks.

DCMoney

Country flag
How deep in the bike us the ECU. Under the tank? I picked my bike up in Texas last week and rode it back to NJ. Now I'm thinking about shipping the ECU back for the flash before I add an exhaust. I haven't gone beyond just pulling off the seat, lol.

Thanks.

Pull tank cover off, mounted to the back side of the tank closest to the seat, easily accessible.

Old3

Country flag
Nice, thank you.

These have smog junk that can be deleted? I've owned and build three KTM 950s, and a bunch of their 450/520/525/530 exc bikes so I know the usual drill with those.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Nice, thank you.

These have smog junk that can be deleted? I've owned and build three KTM 950s, and a bunch of their 450/520/525/530 exc bikes so I know the usual drill with those.

Only the evap solenoid can be removed after the akra map is installed... I flash ecu's for $60.

Old3

Country flag
Does the solenoid feed a catch can and an octopus of hoses that get deleted too? Replace a hose barb in the intake with a bolt, etc.?

Thanks, Jim

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Does the solenoid feed a catch can and an octopus of hoses that get deleted too? Replace a hose barb in the intake with a bolt, etc.?

Thanks, Jim

Pretty much a couple hoses to tidy up, and plug the vacuum source point.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Another question, anyone running the Akra map with stock intake and exhaust?

Thanks

This has been covered several times on here. The akra map is still Euro 3 complaint (lambda sensor active), the bike is too rich on akra map with stock components.

74d34h

I ended up buying a Powertronic from a forum member and it has been working flawless. My wifes RC has the Werkes exhaust, K&N Filter mod. We have been running Map 1 for about 8 months or so. Last week I threw on map 4 and she says its a whole new bike. Her acceleration is a very noticeable improvement and she says top end is still around 106mph. The model we have is the first gen. The 2nd gen is compatible with dual map switching, and soon to be quick shift module. I run PCV on my R1 and ZX6r but opted for this device because there is only so much you can squeeze out of this tiny engine and this device works really nicely.

CDN Duke

Country flag
I ended up buying a Powertronic from a forum member and it has been working flawless. My wifes RC has the Werkes exhaust, K&N Filter mod. We have been running Map 1 for about 8 months or so. Last week I threw on map 4 and she says its a whole new bike. Her acceleration is a very noticeable improvement and she says top end is still around 106mph. The model we have is the first gen. The 2nd gen is compatible with dual map switching, and soon to be quick shift module. I run PCV on my R1 and ZX6r but opted for this device because there is only so much you can squeeze out of this tiny engine and this device works really nicely.

Did you end up flashing the Akra map prior to the Powertronic? I'm taking delivery of new Duke soon and hoping dealer will apply the Akra map for me.