ecu Flash?

D

Deleted member 452

Yup, they applied it for me pre-delivery. :)

Picked up a DNA filter this week and will install MNNTHBX lid when it arrives.

FYI- I ran the Akra map W/DNA filter & MNNTHBX lid for 500 miles before installing a PCV: Partial-throttle midrange was painfully lean.

CDN Duke

Country flag
FYI- I ran the Akra map W/DNA filter & MNNTHBX lid for 500 miles before installing a PCV: Partial-throttle midrange was painfully lean.

Good to know bahawton, no exhaust, just filter and lid? Do you recall AFR values? I've got bluetooth connector on way, will run Torque to record my AFR. Hope to do a before and after...

jjtard

Another question, anyone running the Akra map with stock intake and exhaust?

Thanks

I just had the dealer reflash w the Akra map....bike is still stock other than that. I noticed a huge improvement from 0 to part throttle position.... bike is now smoother and pulls better to redline!! Wish the bike had a digital temp readout not a stupid bar style readout because I don't know if it lowered my internal temp at this point....btw I'm in TX and it's hotter than hell lately!!

D

Deleted member 452

Good to know bahawton, no exhaust, just filter and lid? Do you recall AFR values? I've got bluetooth connector on way, will run Torque to record my AFR. Hope to do a before and after...

I've played with a lot of AFR targets over the last 7K miles and my bike seems to like 12.6- 12.8 best. 13.0 isn't bad for top end but midrange seems to like richer settings. I'm also running a thinner head gasket that causes detonation at part throttle settings under load from 5K-7K RPMs when running advanced timing suggested by Dynojet so I reduced the timing in those cells to 0 degrees (factory setting) and run a hair richer to prevent pinging.

Last edited by a moderator:

CDN Duke

Country flag

Crossposting from the Duke 390 forum:

I had the Akra map flashed at the dealer and installed the DNA filter and open lid. I can confirm that the DNA filter does not seal properly with the MNNTHBX lid... I emailed Greg at MNNTHBX to advise that it appears there is too much relief on the underside of the cover for the DNA filter and as a result, it doesn't sit tight and the filter is loose in the air box. I would think there is room to make the relief shallower and still fit the OE and K&N filters without issue. My stock filter has a very soft rubber gasket on top that would easily compress another mm or two.

To make the lid work for me, I added some bicycle inner tube, held in place with electrical tape. Bit of a hack but it works. At least it's not visible...

I did the 15min ECU reset before work yesterday. Rode to work and an errand midday, ran excellent. Throaty sound on throttle application and definite seat of the pants increase in power it would seem. Then, yesterday evening, did a ride in cooler weather and found that the bike was surging at lower throttle positions... Not sure if the ECU is still learning? I didn't notice this earlier in the day. I'll try it some more but I don't think it's ideal now with this configuration... (Akra map + DNA filter + open lid)

IMG_20160926_214022.jpgIMG_20160926_214124.jpgIMG_20160926_214528.jpg

D

Deleted member 452

Crossposting from the Duke 390 forum:

I had the Akra map flashed at the dealer and installed the DNA filter and open lid. I can confirm that the DNA filter does not seal properly with the MNNTHBX lid... I emailed Greg at MNNTHBX to advise that it appears there is too much relief on the underside of the cover for the DNA filter and as a result, it doesn't sit tight and the filter is loose in the air box. I would think there is room to make the relief shallower and still fit the OE and K&N filters without issue. My stock filter has a very soft rubber gasket on top that would easily compress another mm or two.

To make the lid work for me, I added some bicycle inner tube, held in place with electrical tape. Bit of a hack but it works. At least it's not visible...

I did the 15min ECU reset before work yesterday. Rode to work and an errand midday, ran excellent. Throaty sound on throttle application and definite seat of the pants increase in power it would seem. Then, yesterday evening, did a ride in cooler weather and found that the bike was surging at lower throttle positions... Not sure if the ECU is still learning? I didn't notice this earlier in the day. I'll try it some more but I don't think it's ideal now with this configuration... (Akra map + DNA filter + open lid)

View attachment 3029View attachment 3030View attachment 3031
I noticed the same problem with the DNA filter & MNNTHBX cover. I think I'll buy some thin self-adhesive weather stripping instead of using innertube. Should work if I can find thin enough stuff.

CDN Duke

Country flag
I noticed the same problem with the DNA filter & MNNTHBX cover. I think I'll buy some thin self-adhesive weather stripping instead of using innertube. Should work if I can find thin enough stuff.

Yes, I included your reference on the other forum - it's where I first saw mention of a possible issue. Unfortunately the MNNTHBX lid definitely doesn't work with the DNA filter without some adaptation. My inner tube implementation was a quick late night hack to get it to work, your weather stripping idea is a great suggestion, I'll plan to do that as well.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Little piece of info you all might like to know. A) Air box volume is sensitive on the 390 in any platform of build. B) ANYTHING near the velocity stack in the box creates larges amounts of unhappiness and lost performance (turbulence/sheering/etc). I have verified the before mentioned statements and found large gains on the dyno by addressing. The stock air or K&N sat in the box as designed sits too close to end of velocity stack, now you have shoved a filter all the way down in the air box and stuck a filter RIGHT at the end of velocity stack. I doesn't matter what the filter flows CFM wise when it causes more problems due to placement. Something to ponder on. I can tell you I have found .7 hp on a stocker peak, and over 1.5 hp on kit by addressing this. DNA flows 80 CFM, K&N does 105 CFM.

CDN Duke

Country flag
That is good info Chad, thanks. Note however that the newer DNA, with suffix R (R-KT1SM11-0R), actually flows more at 96 CFM than the older model at 80 CFM. I didn't know that the K&N flowed 105... maybe I should have just bought a K&N instead of the traipsing around I did to pick up the DNA while on a work trip in Serbia ;-)

So, definitely suggests a tune is required - I'm still shopping, trying to decide between PCV, Bazzazz, PowerTronic, possibly RapidBike etc. I've got ODBD reader in transit, will start logging to see what's going on. May need to put the cover back on in short term perhaps.

Attachments

• R-KT1SM11-0RFD.jpg
    R-KT1SM11-0RFD.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 365

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Like I say even if it flowed 300 cfm, and the placement is BAD, you are not gaining anything... and possibly loosing.

streetfighter

Like I say even if it flowed 300 cfm, and the placement is BAD, you are not gaining anything... and possibly loosing.

Hi Chad, what is your solution to this? you mentioned a "kit", wonder what kit you are referring to? is it available on your website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hi Chad, what is your solution to this? you mentioned a "kit", wonder what kit you are referring to? is it available on your website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kit I was speaking of was the referring to with the engine kit installed... I do have a solution but it is not for sale and is semi-secret for my racers/customers. I am debating on selling/offering though.

D

Deleted member 452

K&N filters are pretty cheap so I'll pick one up when it's time to clean the filter again. Any chance that I can get you to share the K&N air filter mod that you hinted at on another thread a long time ago Chad?

watchmaker

a question.....does anyone know if the 2016/17 ECU will work on the 2015 model?.....and if the 16/17 model has same low speed issues as well as idle stalling?......just wondering if this may be another option for dealing with these issues without getting a PCv or Bazzaz?....

ameerulamri

There is only one map available ecu wise at the moment. Just the Akrapovic/cup map from KTM. It turns off purge valve and raises rev limit to 10,250. Depending on what country you are in whether is has purge valve or not. There is no other way to read/write these ecu's at the moment. You can turn the rev Xtend on in the PCV to raise rev limit. The stock engine doesn't really need it though, you can bump to 11k if desired. An exhaust system, air filter, and lid mod does wonders for the stock engine ;)

But my stock bike rpm is on 10500? Urs stock is only 10000rpm? It means the bike only tops out at 171kmh?? Any thoughts? Different countries have different rpm limit?

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
But my stock bike rpm is on 10500? Urs stock is only 10000rpm? It means the bike only tops out at 171kmh?? Any thoughts? Different countries have different rpm limit?

Tach reads high like always on a stock bike........ 10k actual stock, 10,250 on akra.