Engine Oil changing questions

rudra2k14

My Rc390's
1st oil change -1000kms
2nd oil change - 3.5k kms
3rd oil change - 4.5k kms

now i am running 5.3k kms.

Should i do 4th oil change.?

Note : Fast oil changing is bit costlier for me.

HELP!!

psych0hans

Country flag
You don't need to change that often bro, change every 5-8k kms. Do your next change at 10k and then every 5k kms.

Last edited:

Bagwell

Country flag
1000 km is 620 miles, I would change the oil every 2000 to 2500 km or 1200 to 1500 miles if it were me. The bike only holds 2 quarts so I would change it sooner than I would on a bike that holds almost twice as much. Just my opinion

Treachery

Country flag
Agreed that at your stage, less frequent (absent race or track use) should be fine, so long as you're using the spec oil or equivalent.

CAZHEREDIA

can someone verify this please

"Factory scheduled oil change intervals are;
620mi
4650mi
9300mi
Every year"

seems to good to be true.

tires don't even last that long :S

rippedcb

can someone verify this please

"Factory scheduled oil change intervals are;
620mi
4650mi
9300mi
Every year"

seems to good to be true.

tires don't even last that long :S

YEP.. Page 79 of the owners manual
every 7500Km/4650miles or every year

I would change mine every 5000 Km's if i was riding more than that in a year.. and every year if i wasn't.

Treachery

Country flag
^^^^^
This. I'm not likely to change every thousand (barring track use), but every couple-three thou would be my ballpark interval.

(And no, I'm neither a petroleum nor mechanical engineer, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express)

sturge

I've seen the 'oil change' thread on every forum for every vehicle I've ever had and it's usually all over the place with false claims and opinions. The answer is always the same regarding what is 'required'...look in the vehicle manufacturers manual which will provide the MAX recommended interval. This is what the guys who DESIGNED the engine recommend and I'm am going with them. There is ALWAYS lots of variation on what folks are comfortable with...there are many who feel better about changing it more often which is fine. I have always had good luck using a top quality synthetic and a good quality filter which makes me feel better about going to the max for my intervals on all vehicles. With this engine design, KTM has 'recommended' their max interval....changing more often is a personal choice but not 'required'.

Last edited:

MotoKam

Before I replaced the cooling fan on my RC it overheated and shut off three times. After that I noticed oil consumption had increased to about 200mL per 200-300 miles. The heat, I feel damaged the oil in some way to cause it to slip past the rings so I changed it right away.

After fixing the overheating problem, consumption stays steady at about 100mL per 1000 miles or so. Oil is so good these days that if it doesn't overheat, you use the correct oil, and stick to the plan in the manual, you won't have any oil related problems.