Getting my KTM serviced, jeeze who knew it would be so hard!

TennisFreak

So I am approaching 600 miles on my RC390 and I know that the valves need to be checked along with the initial service.

Normally I do all the easy regular service items on my bikes (torquing bolts, changing oil, adjust/clean/lube chain).

I've never done a valve check and after reading threads and watching youtube videos I decided that the RC390 would not be the easiest bike to attempt a valve check, for the first time, on.

So I went to the KTM website and looked for authorized dealers in my area and found quite a few.

I figured I would call and ask about the first service, what it includes, how much it costs, and also get some info on valve check and its cost. (figured if I have to have the valves checked might just have them service it while its there)

Called a dealer who was clueless on any of the info said they would have to call me back. They never called back.

Called another dealer who was equally clueless and said they would call me back. They never called back.

Called a 3rd dealer who was shocked I even asked about a KTM. They said they wanted to be honest and that they just picked KTM up as a line and were not familiar with any of their bikes or servicing. They said they would do some research and call me back as well.
They never called back either!!

So right now I am 0-3 on even getting a price quote from a dealer/service center on my bike, LOL. Keep in mind these are all dealers straight from the KTM website.

This is crazy!

jjtard

So I am approaching 600 miles on my RC390 and I know that the valves need to be checked along with the initial service.

Normally I do all the easy regular service items on my bikes (torquing bolts, changing oil, adjust/clean/lube chain).

I've never done a valve check and after reading threads and watching youtube videos I decided that the RC390 would not be the easiest bike to attempt a valve check, for the first time, on.

So I went to the KTM website and looked for authorized dealers in my area and found quite a few.

I figured I would call and ask about the first service, what it includes, how much it costs, and also get some info on valve check and its cost. (figured if I have to have the valves checked might just have them service it while its there)

Called a dealer who was clueless on any of the info said they would have to call me back. They never called back.

Called another dealer who was equally clueless and said they would call me back. They never called back.

Called a 3rd dealer who was shocked I even asked about a KTM. They said they wanted to be honest and that they just picked KTM up as a line and were not familiar with any of their bikes or servicing. They said they would do some research and call me back as well.

So right now I am 0-3 on even getting a price quote from a dealer/service center on my bike, LOL. Keep in mind these are all dealers straight from the KTM website.

This is crazy!

I noticed you are in TX....call TJ Cycles in Austin.

EnergyHOU

Wow not a single one in Dallas thus far? +1 to TJ in Austin, Mainland near Houston has been good to me.

This is crazy!

LOL! How the hell were they registered on the website without proper knowledge on what they're dealing with.

TennisFreak

I finally got a dealer to respond to me after trying 6 different ones.

They told me that it would cost $440 for the first service which included the valve adjustment (and also an oil change).

What bothered me though is the service manager kept insisting that I did not need to bring my bike in until it had 1000 miles on it. I told him that my owners manual and the KTM website had 600 miles on it and asked if he was seeing kilometers instead of miles.
He said that he had 1000 miles and was sure about it.

Anyways I have decided to dump the bike.
It may turn out to be a great bike for someone else but not me.

Lack of dealer/service support.
So many reported head gasket being blown.
Numerous other build quality issues.
Overheating issues.

I'd just rather get something I feel more confident in.
I have also noticed that it seems like the more miles I have put on the bike the more the dang thing vibrates.
Its gotten so bad my hands go numb on a 20 minute commute home from work.
With it vibrating so badly I dont see how I'd be able to get through track sessions. The vibration gets really bad over 60mph.