Treachery

Country flag
Rant mode ON.

Okay, courtesy of being unable to drag the throttle side grip across the retaining nubs (to re-use it on the G2 throttle tube I have ready to install), I made the decision to pull the clutch side grip and replace it as well. Normally, I can just inject some water under the grip and work a thin common screwdriver under the grip and it'll work right off.

Well...it seems that instead of providing their assembly techs with...oh...grease for the swingarm bushings and steering head bearings...:rolleyes:...they gave 'em gallon pots of glue. It is not an understatement that there was more glue under the left side grip on this motorcycle than I have used on every grip on every motorcycle I have ever owned. I not only had to cut the grip, but I also had to use a box knife and "dissect" the grip away from the handlebar, then use a scotchbrite pad to scrub the residual glue and rubber off.

​GAWDAMIGHTY!

Rant mode OFF.

Ryanthegreat1

Installed clipons and reused the stock grips. I found this to be 100% true.

I boiled the left bar to soften the grip and glue and still had to pry it all apart with a small screwdriver. I saved the grip but not by much.

=maz=

Country flag
I am sure that someones brother in India owns a glue supply depot or something similar...I just cut the clutch-side off and got decent grips.

Fasteddy

Country flag
This is all good to know, I bought the G2 and just in case the Renthal grips from MNNTHBX last November and was hoping to retain the stock grips but after hearing this I think i'll just start cutting...

tecknojoe

Country flag
Damn, just cut those things off and trash them. I got the ODI Ruffian's and it's 100 times more comfortable, they're like 10 bucks

A1VW2NV

Country flag
I installed new grips two weeks before I got my G2. I was amazed at the difficulty in removing the stock poor excuses for grips! I ended up cutting them off and filing/sanding the ribs off the stock throttle tube. The G2 went right on and the grips as well.