Question Tank grip recommendation? 2023 RC390

leorii

Country flag
Hey all,

Biggest issue I currently have with my bike is that any time I brake or just decelerate quickly, I slide forward right into the tank. I'm trying to grip with my knees, but there's not much to grip on with a slick tank. I've been looking around, and can't find many tank grips that fit the 2023 RC390 properly. Was hoping someone here might have a recommendation for me?
https://bagorosperformance.com/product/tank-grip-ktm-rc-390/
This is the only grip I've seen that is made for the 2023, and it has no reviews yet. Can't tell by the photos how grippy it will actually be, or if it'll cover up the KTM graphics on the other side of the bike.

Let me know if you have any tank grip recommendations or anything that would help, thanks!

RickCrespo

Country flag
Hey,

The first thought when reading your post, was how hard are you braking to make you slide forward onto the tank? If you are on track, then I get it, and even then you'd have your outside leg helping you not to slide forward. I'd first recommend looking into your braking technique and smooth that out first. But since you asked, this is what I use on my race bike to help with the leg grip on the tank. https://stompgrip.com/collections/street-bike-tank-grips?page=2

I just used a basic shape and pasted it to the center of the tank mostly with the smallest amount on the sides. The most amount of grip you need is where you inner thigh meets the tank, anything down the sides is just wasted material and will do nothing to help you connect to the tank.

Also, if you are sliding this much, you may want to look into changing the seat. Maybe someone makes something that has more grip than the stock seat. I use a race foam on mine. Very grippy.

Attachments

• IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    861.8 KB · Views: 6

leorii

Country flag
Hey thanks, I appreciate the link! I'll definitely look into my braking technique too. I'm a new rider, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm breaking too hard or something. But I also saw other people were having this problem too with the 2023 and that the seat was leaned too far forward on it. So I'll also check out other seats

RickCrespo

Country flag
Riding on the street should be super chill and relaxing. If you are moving that much on the brakes while riding on the street then you are most likely braking too hard. The rule of thumb on track at least is to have a minimum of 3-4 inches from your crotch to the tank. Anymore than that and you are sitting probably too far back, and if you are right against the tank you won't have the mobility to get each side of the seat to help with cornering. For help with riding techniques, look up the Ken Hill Podcast. He is a great teacher and pro coach so he knows what he's talking about. There is a good episode called the 5% rule. I won't try to explain it here because he is the master or explaining it but that changed how I ride a motorcycle. If you master it, or come ask close as you are capable of mastering that technique it will change how you ride and how safe you will be on a motorcycle.

leorii

Country flag
So I went for another ride today, and I don't think it's necessarily related to the way I'm breaking. I'm sitting 3-4in back from the tank like you mentioned, but even just going downhill slightly (not decelerating or breaking) and I can feel my ass sliding forward on the seat. Especially if the road is a little bumpy, I'll end up scooting forward with each bump. And I'm riding pretty chill, nothing crazy. So maybe the stock seat really is leaned too far forward.

And nice, thanks for the podcast recommendation, I'll check it out

RickCrespo

Country flag
That's still a lot of sliding. It just seems odd that you are sliding that much. Has the seat been treated with Armor All or a wax of some kind and what pants are you wearing?

leorii

Country flag
It's a brand new bike with stock seat, and I haven't treated it or done anything with it. My pants are Street & Steel Oakland Jeans.

RickCrespo

Country flag
So weird. Okay. That's all I got as far as knowledge with that problem. I'm guessing you can probably get some sort of seat cover that will give you more grip. Good luck

leorii

Country flag
Yeah, I might just go with a new seat since I've heard this one is angled a lot. Below is a photo on flat ground with the bike upright and phone leveled. It looks like it's angled pretty far forward to me, but I haven't owned other bikes, so I don't really know. Do you think a different seat would help, or does this look pretty normal to you?

PXL_20230712_151231629-03.jpeg