Help please , I am in a bit of a pickle

Michelle

Ever since I did my water pump with a self locking nut I have been loosing coolant so I ordered all the parts to change the seals... But I am stumped ,, I thought the seals was rubber ??...
I have taken mine apart but I can not get the seal out ,, is it fitted in with a metal retainer or something ??

here are some pics IMG_2217.jpg can you see the shinny bits ,, that is metal ,, how do I get it out ?,, drill a hole in it and screw a screw in to pull it out ?.. IMG_2218.jpg

I can see the middle bits rubber but it looks like there is a metal retainer in side it.. Then I have to ask how do I get the new one in ?.

Any help please and I would be grateful :)

green_bread

Country flag
For those who may find this thread later, would you mind posting up the solution to the "pickle" you were in, please? Thanks! :)

Michelle

I was wondering why it would go bad the seal after putting a self locking nut on..... The only thing I can think of is I did not put coolant in for 24hr ,, so it all had time to dry out and I think the seal cracked..
That is what I think has happened ..... It only takes 10 minuets for loctite to set but from what I read it takes 24hr to cure........

isaac_

Was there a need to change nuts to begin with?

If it's a self locking nut, doesn't that mean you don't need locktite?

How well does locktite hold against liquids like coolant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michelle

Thanks for letting me know Ed ,, its a pain having to wait 24hr to put coolant in ,, hopefully its fixed now...

Fasteddy

Country flag
Thanks for letting me know Ed ,, its a pain having to wait 24hr to put coolant in ,, hopefully its fixed now...

I hope it is too, mine is a early 2015 with over 5000 miles so it makes me a bit nervous hearing about the seal failures.

Until I started doing major work on my SuperDuke I just thought Loctite was Loctite, I now have 4 different types on the shelf for different uses....

Michelle

Mine is early 2015 as well , no Ed I would not worry,, mine was fine till I changed that nut , like I say, I think its cos I let mine dry out for 24hr ...... That seal has been in there over 2 years and I let it dry out , I think that was the problem and when I started the bike that rubber cracked probably turned into a small split...
There was coolant missing after every ride....

It looks ok now though but I will not really know till after a few rides... From what I have read its common for them seals to go.... I say them seals ,, that outer seal I should say..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 452

Mine failed at 5K miles but the replacement was still good at 13K miles. My motor was toast so I to replace it but now I have 3.6K miles on the new motor so I hope it doesn't fail at 5K miles like my last one. I applied threadlock to the impeller nut when going through the new motor fingers crossed that my little turd will keep running for a while...

Michelle

My little turd is still missing coolant after every ride :( ,, I put another seal in just this morning but this time I put Loctite blue silicon on it IMG_2225.jpg( stops oil & coolant)
There is no way coolant will get through now ,, I even put it on the back of the seal inside the engine..
If coolant is still missing after every ride my head gasket must have gone :( ....... I have a bad feeling.....

isaac_

Can we eliminate your procedure for filling with coolant? It sounds silly, but before you dig in, eliminate the simple things first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michelle

Hi isaac

I am open to options :) really ....... What do I do when I fill the coolant , I put it in through the cap ,, not sure why but I always undo the screw at the bottom till some comes out ,, the screw that you empty it with.
Then I fill it right up squeezing the pipes and tilt the bike from side to side...... Then I undo the bleed screw with the cap on ( there is coolant in the bottle on the minimum line at this point ) and then I undo the cap a bit till coolant comes out the bleed screw then tighten....
Then I let the bike warm up till the fan is about to come on then again undo the bleed screw till coolant comes out ,, tighten ,, job done...

I have read it is possible for coolant to slip passed the sides of the seal so that is why I put silicon on to count the seal out...
My oil is fresh and clean ,, nothing in it what so ever.....
I have checked everything for leaks cracks I can not see anything so I am keeping my fingers crossed I have managed to fix it this time....

I know after the first ride sometimes it does take in more coolant or can and I know it rises in the over flow bottle when hot but its just going down after every ride....
We will know in a few days if it was the seal...

I got too much money in this bike now to let it go for cheap ,, I could of really bought a new RC the amount of money I have put into it ,, I don,t think I would get much for it with coolant going missing so I have already found a garage that will skim the head so I will do the job myself...

Last edited:

Maddog Reynolds

Don't forget there is another pump seal inside the crankcase (well, I am told there is. I haven't looked for myself, yet). I don't know how often it fails, though.

Michelle

Hi Maddog ,, yeah there is a seal inside ,, you can see it when you pull the first one out ,, I put silicon on that one too...
I am not a 100% but I think its not leaking anymore.... As you know we are getting a lot of showers at the moment so its waiting to get out while it is dry...
It did take in a little coolant after the first ride but it seems to be holding to the top line..... We will just have to see after a few more rides... I hope its stopped...

I don,t think its such a hard job changing the head gasket ,, its more taking everything apart to get to it.. A member on here told me it can be done with the engine in the bike which is music to my ears..
I have done a top end rebuild on my GS500 which was easy cos there is nothing in the way of the engine ,, but this one everything has to come off..

Michelle

I think my bike is fine now , it did take in a little coolant after the first ride ,, not much though and since then it seems to go down 1or 2 millimeters after a few rides..
My ZX7 after 3 or 4 weeks I would have to top up the coolant and that had no leaks... Unless I am wrong 1or 2 millimeters after a few rides can be put down the evaporation...