HELP! Weird smell then smoke from near catalytic converter

mjs21

So today while riding, I noticed a weird smell. (smells like rubber to me)
Then I went riding about an hour later. 30 min into ride, I stopped at a gas station. A good bit of smoke was coming from down by the cat...

Another thing is: I change my oil yesterday (No, the smoke is NOT oil burning) but after reading a post on here, i realized my oil filter was wavy. My coolant is a bit low as well.
water pump gasket?
-_-

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mjs21

Anyone? I'm likely going to order water pump seals. Anyone have a part number(s)?
It's not the water pump cover seal, is it?

amirossi21

Anyone? I'm likely going to order water pump seals. Anyone have a part number(s)?
It's not the water pump cover seal, is it?
Hope this will help.
f176a30f45c4594a3492d28dc52e89a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

yourlastvisit

So today while riding, I noticed a weird smell. (smells like rubber to me)
Then I went riding about an hour later. 30 min into ride, I stopped at a gas station. A good bit of smoke was coming from down by the cat...

Another thing is: I change my oil yesterday (No, the smoke is NOT oil burning) but after reading a post on here, i realized my oil filter was wavy. My coolant is a bit low as well.
water pump gasket?
-_-

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you lube your chain, recently? It might happen that some thicker that normal lube flung off the chain and got deposited on the cat con and now it's the lube that's burning and giving off smoke due to the immense heat. I can speak of it due to a similar past experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjs21

Thanks guys!

Is there a way to differentiate between blown head gasket vs water pump seals?

As far as the smoke goes, I havent lubed chain. I will check into the fairing touching but I dont believe so. It was a rubber smell. Perhaps the rubber mount for the bolt holding the cat??

mjs21

Nah the smoke seemed to be coming from lower side of cat. Im about to take the fairings off to see what I can find

Last edited:

mjs21

12abcd6c8621069e26473ede3b2e4272.jpg

Found sitting on the cat. Down Where the bolts mount to frame

Last edited:

mjs21

But it doesn't look burnt... there was a lot of smoke. Doesn't seem likely. Maybe though

=maz=

Country flag
Thanks guys!

Is there a way to differentiate between blown head gasket vs water pump seals?

As far as the smoke goes, I havent lubed chain. I will check into the fairing touching but I dont believe so. It was a rubber smell. Perhaps the rubber mount for the bolt holding the cat??

What makes you think you have blown a Gasket or a Seal?

mjs21

Let some oil out so you can check it ??......

I'm asking how to differentiate between head gasket and water pump seal… I already know there's a leak.
If you read the previous comments, you'd know I just changed the oil.

D

Deleted member 452

Last year, my head gasket blew at 4.7K miles and the water pump failed 300 miles later. Symptoms were foaming oil, low oil pressure light, and coolant puking out the overflow. However, head gasket leaks can really vary based on where the leak is. The second time my head gasket failed (along with a whole slew of other problems), the symptoms were different: Loss in top end power with high coolant temps & coolant puking only every once in a while (not always on hot days?!?) and there was no cross-contamination with oil & coolant.