How many miles + problems thread

Rexbo

Country flag
200 street miles, 60 race miles:
- Tons of metal shavings/paint/crap in the oil filters the first two oil changes.
- ECU throwing error codes occasionally at ignition on, needs to be power cycled to reset.
- Radiator fan makes god awful noise while running
- 5th to 6th gear has difficulty shifting under race conditions
- Swingarm bushings not lubed
- Injector harness connector did not retain to plug (just slipped right off injector!)

267 miles on the odometer, head gasket blown.
RH side starter switch not always making full contact, buzzes and throws error code on screen.

rick

Blown head gasket at 6,000 miles. Warped head and jugs. Tentatively all going to be replaced under warranty.

cornerslider

I'm still waiting for my 2016 RC..... After reading this thread, I'm not even sure I want to buy the bike? (if it ever gets here) Does anyone have any "my bike is great/I love my KTM RC390 stories" ????? If it wasn't for the $3000 in aftermarket goodies that I already purchased for the bike (that I don't even own yet), I doubt I would even buy the damn thing? Never owned a KTM before, I ordered one only because everyone that owns them, seems to love them..... Hope I don't regret my choice-

tecknojoe

Country flag
I'm still waiting for my 2016 RC..... After reading this thread, I'm not even sure I want to buy the bike? (if it ever gets here) Does anyone have any "my bike is great/I love my KTM RC390 stories" ????? If it wasn't for the $3000 in aftermarket goodies that I already purchased for the bike (that I don't even own yet), I doubt I would even buy the damn thing? Never owned a KTM before, I ordered one only because everyone that owns them, seems to love them..... Hope I don't regret my choice-

Of course it's not as nice as my two Austrian KTMs (Superduke and RC8R), but I still love my rc390. It's a hell of a fun bike on track, and fast as piss too

Fasteddy

Country flag
"my bike is great/I love my KTM RC390!!!!"

Now I am surely jinxed!

I have just rolled past 3000 miles this weekend and have, dare I say it, none of the common issues stemming from production / design.
I have done the initial service myself and will change the oil this weekend.
I am either:

A, Dang lucky.
B, I will be stuck on the roadside on the way to work tomorrow.
C, Have one of the bikes that was assembled / QC'ed with an Austrian Engineer present.

My other current rides also include an Austrian made 2007 SuperDuke, which I do love more / as much....

It would be interesting to compile the production number of the VIN's for bikes with and with out issues.

reenmachine

Country flag

"my bike is great/I love my KTM RC390"

Totally.

On the street and on the track mine's been a riot. Other than a faulty radiator cap it's been perfect. I paid full pop and have no regrets. It was something like $7400 OTD if I recall correctly, and I may not recall correctly because the moment I started riding it I forgot all about what I paid.

I also own an Austrian KTM (1190 Adventure that I've put 17k on so far) and the RC isn't quite the same animal, but it was 1/3 of the price as well.

This isn't really the right thread for it, but I assure you there are plenty of us who have had great experiences with the RC390. It's the Internet -- the ones with the issues make the most noise. The rest of us are out riding!

​Disclaimer: I in no way mean to belittle the plight of those with issues. There's no denying them and they're very real.

hamishl

Country flag
Fasteddy;14919 Now I am surely jinxed! [/QUOTE said:
Me too! I'm on around 7,000km, and apart from a small issue at around 1,200km with the battery (not entirely sure who was at fault, but was fixed under warranty anyway) I've had no issues. But I'm not in the USA, so whether the better service from the dealer network here (seriously, it pains me to read some of the stories of people's interactions with dealers on here) accounts for better quality (i.e. setting up the bike between coming out of the container and hitting the road) I don't know.

As far as loving it goes, I have to walk 1/2 an hour every morning to get to the garage where I store it so I can ride to work (my first bike was stolen after less than a month, so taking no chances this time), but it always makes my day to ride it. Took it to my first track day recently as well, and now I'm hooked - luckily the yoga instructor who comes to my work is married to the owner of my local dealer, so my next track day is free :D

ray

At 5k KMS even my RC is OK. Ive had oil leaks from Day 1 from the head gasket which ive been ignoring. Been just checking the oil level and topping up when necessary. Replaced the gasket when my bike went under the knife after a crash. Apart from that only the battery cover has been an issue..It flew off once :D

cornerslider

Thanks to all that replied in the last 24 hours...... I'm excited about my new RC again!!!!! I'll post pics when it arrives-

motoputz

Country flag
1100 miles, 200 on the track. Loose steering head bolt. The bike felt twitchy at low speed. When I was stopped at a light I twisted the steering head bolt and started to unscrew it with my fingers. After getting home and re-torqueing the bolt there is still something wrong. Twitchy feeling is gone but there is almost no resistance moving the fork assembly from lock to lock and there is a clunk in the front when pushing down on the bars with the front brake on. It is like the steering head bolt is still loose. I will disassemble it this weekend to see what is going on in there.

Ryanthegreat1

1100 miles, 200 on the track. Loose steering head bolt. The bike felt twitchy at low speed. When I was stopped at a light I twisted the steering head bolt and started to unscrew it with my fingers. After getting home and re-torqueing the bolt there is still something wrong. Twitchy feeling is gone but there is almost no resistance moving the fork assembly from lock to lock and there is a clunk in the front when pushing down on the bars with the front brake on. It is like the steering head bolt is still loose. I will disassemble it this weekend to see what is going on in there.

The bolt sticking out on top of the triple clamp is just there to hold down the triple clamp. There is a nut under the top triple clamp that is for preloading the steering stem bearings.

ratlab

i'm waiting for my 2016 and have also picked up some suspension parts for it.i did get the 5 year unlimited warranty,but you guys have got me scared.lol

stevieboy

Country flag
i'm waiting for my 2016 and have also picked up some suspension parts for it.i did get the 5 year unlimited warranty,but you guys have got me scared.lol

I didn't think KTM offered extended warranties? Yamaha now has a LIFETIME warranty on their engines.

D

Deleted member 452

Already reported head gasket @ 4.3K miles and water pump at 4.7K miles. Now it's time to replace the clutch @ 5.1K miles?!? I love this bike but it's such a piece of crap...