Idle and 1st gear issues

Mototoro

Okay so i figured i would wait till i put some miles on the bike and gotten used to it a bit before posting, but these issues are irritating and persistent... i have a 2015 with close to 6k miles, only 1000 or so miles of those are mine.

The bikes idle is all kinds of unpredictable, sometimes it seems likes its gonna sputter out and die (at lights or when i first start it), other times the engine seems to surge and other times its like nothing is wrong. No rhyme or reason on temp or how much i have been riding either... but its usually on the warmer side because im in southern California.
I'm having some issues in 1st too, which granted i don't stay in for long, but even holding the throttle steady the engine surges and the bike feels like it jerks a bit. The RPM gauge stays steady though. I mean, my dirt bike idles and runs in first steadier than this bike... which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be the case. (????)

I am replacing the chain since he didn't maintain it very well, and i know that can cause the bike to seem like its jerking.

after reading some of the posts on here i hope i didn't get myself into a constant headache with this bike, especially since i'm currently not living where I have a garage, i have all my tools and stuff down at a buddies house an hour south of me, so while normally id be fine with tearing stuff apart, its not that fun to do in a parking garage with my basic tool set and no stands.

Thanks.

Michelle

Hi Mototoro

I have read LOTS and LOTS of threads where peoples RCs surge , mine does it but I hardly notice it since I have put a fueling unit on... You could try getting it re-mapped it might solve your problems or it could make it worse..
But the posts I have read that have idle issues and surging problems ,, once they installed a fueling unit there bikes run much better...... Your in the States so there is a guy on here chad that sells Power Commands for the RC..
I am running Rapid Bike unit ,, if you don,t want to spend to much I would get it re-mapped ..... I think poor idle and surging is down to poor tuning of the bike but that is just my view... Hope you get it sorted :cool:

Mototoro

Well I just found a crack in airbox - same place everyone else's cracks. I'm sure that's not helping. Gonna swap that out this weekend and see if it helps and if not i'll definitely look into getting it remapped or talk to chad about the power commander. Ill have to see where I'm then, but good info! Nice to know its not just mine, Thanks.

EDIT UPDATE: That seems to have fixed most of the unequal idle and low rpm issues. so i'll wait on all the mapping stuff, have a lot of other stuff to fix first. and i need a new rear tire now too. This things a money pit :( blah

Last edited: