How many miles + problems thread

EnergyHOU

Now rolling in on 6000 miles, no issues other than previously mentioned post regarding my radiator fan no longer functioning. Bike was out of commission for a week.

chrisdigital21

Funny story...... My bike puked coolant out of the rad overflow like it had a head gasket blow....... MY BIKE IS COVERED IN COOLANT..... FUN TIMES..

stevieboy

Country flag
My Yamaha dealer must be an aberration. He deals on bikes and does great service work for a fair price.
Local KTM dealer on the other hand has given me nothing but incorrect advice followed up with a "who cares about proper intervals, if it breaks you get it fixed under warranty."

Just got home from the memorial service for my local Yamaha dealer who passed away suddenly this past week. I hope that my buying a KTM instead of another Yamaha (maybe two dozen bikes over forty years) did not hasten his demise. R.I.P. Larry.

OldVet

Okay 12,489 miles now.

No issues with the motor and didn't do a valve check until 10K and all was in speck :) I wouldn't have waited that long but my dealer keep telling me they've checked a lot of bikes and haven't had any issues with the valves. He suggested I skip the first check and wait until the 7,500, I waited a little longer.

Other than most bolts coming loose no real problems except with the chain it's junk, replaced it at 6,500 miles... Using loctite and checking the bolts often has helped with the bolts coming loose.

EnergyHOU

Okay 12,489 miles now.

No issues with the motor and didn't do a valve check until 10K and all was in speck :) I wouldn't have waited that long but my dealer keep telling me they've checked a lot of bikes and haven't had any issues with the valves. He suggested I skip the first check and wait until the 7,500, I waited a little longer.

Other than most bolts coming loose no real problems except with the chain it's junk, replaced it at 6,500 miles... Using loctite and checking the bolts often has helped with the bolts coming loose.

Assuming there is some truth to the whole "good batch bad batch" theory, I would say that you and I had bikes built at a very similar time and consisted of a "good batch", possibly when the Austrian assemblers were at the plant assisting/directing on the first group. Essentially identical position but at 6,400 miles now. Did one valve check at 5,900, all in spec, no issues other than radiator fan.

CAZHEREDIA

worst bike ever! when I sell it in a couple months I will make sure to include the "Too many issues to list" not the "too many extras to list". coolant hose came off and I just noticed that where the hose connects is cut in half. And I cant find the hose to connect it. Lord, this is the worst bike in history!

Dygear

So after the coolant problem and the warranty fix I had no issues until ... ~2750 The con-rod decided it didn't like the piston any more and threw it threw the top and bottom of the engine. Speaking to the tech that was working on it he was nice enough to show me the engine that they are about to send back to KTM to find out what caused the problem in the first place. The picture says it all. It took the dealer about a month to fix it, and that was much faster than the last time when they worked on the rad problem.

IMG_2632.jpg

The events leading up to this was me riding at 70mph about to shift up to the next gear when I heard a pop from the engine, and the rear tire locked up. I pulled the clutch in to stop myself from going down and managed to get it to the side of the road. I was on a very busy motorway at the time, so I'm kinda lucky to be alive. KTM sent them a new engine, and it's installed in the bike. Picking it up tomorrow. Hopefully this one will last longer than the previous example. I'll have to do the engine break in period again. Seeing as a babied the last one, I might give this one a hard break in and see what the difference is. I also wonder if that this engine is built by the non-factory guys if it will be better, as the guys in the India plant seem to be a little hit and miss.

CDN Duke

Country flag
So after the coolant problem and the warranty fix I had no issues until ... ~2750 The con-rod decided it didn't like the piston any more and threw it threw the top and bottom of the engine. Speaking to the tech that was working on it he was nice enough to show me the engine that they are about to send back to KTM to find out what caused the problem in the first place. The picture says it all.

The events leading up to this was me riding at 70mph about to shift up to the next gear when I heard a pop from the engine, and the rear tire locked up. I pulled the clutch in to stop myself from going down and managed to get it to the side of the road. I was on a very busy motorway at the time, so I'm kinda lucky to be alive. KTM sent them a new engine, and it's installed in the bike. Picking it up tomorrow. Hopefully this one will last longer than the previous example. I'll have to do the engine break in period again. Seeing as a babied the last one, I might give this one a hard break in and see what the difference is. I also wonder if that this engine is built by the non-factory guys if it will be better, as the guys in the India plant seem to be a little hit and miss.

Wow, thanks for the pic!

zaster

Country flag
Had an overheating issue at 1,200 miles the dealership couldnot diagnose while blaming it on the PCV I installed. After uninstalling the PCV, the issue persistedand I detected a coolant leak at the cylinder gasket. Now the dealer agreed toreplace the head and gasket as well as the valves. After I picked it up and riding it for 30 miles,the ‘low oil pressure’ message appeared on the dash. Again, the dealer couldnot diagnose the issue but was advised by KTM to replace the oil pressuresensor. The bike spent a total of over 3 months at the dealership never mindthe frustration. I truly enjoy riding the bike but quality issues seem tointerfere with my plans.