How the RC has changed me

rompus

I am 55 and have ridden high capacity bikes my whole life. I started riding pure sport bikes 25 years ago and hence my addiction to riding stupid on the street began.Even though I bought those bikes my thought that 75 HP is all you need for the street was my mantra, I was always looking for a smaller bike but the kawi 250 never appealed to me from a style perspective. I thought the MZ Scorpion was interesting but I didn't have the funds then and the reviews were not that great. Enter the RC and I was floored, style ,some power and handling to boot and I was hooked.Yesterday I took my 748 out and whenever I get on my big bikes I get keyed up, ( I guess the 748 is not a big bike now with only 90 HP) passing cars at any chance. I know I am going to ride way faster than what is safe but the power is addictive. I got into a backroads race with a car yesterday that was just not sensible, taking risks around blind turns with guardrails and woods all around, dumb , dumb. I am by no means a great rider, and am probably out of my element. The RC is a different story, lovely little motor, light weight and I feel so confident charging into turns that I don't miss the extra torque and power at all, in fact on many tight roads the RC corner speed is higher than my bigger bikes.So my opinion now is that the RC is the ultimate backroads bike, even better than my SV 650 which I considered perfect. Would love to hear some other riders thoughts.

Last edited:
When I got the RC, I listed my GSXR 1000 for sale. I love the styling and handling. The only thing I wish it has is the reliability of my KTM 690 or other Japanese bikes. I love it dearly, but wonder when the head gasket is going to grenade.

rompus

When I got the RC, I listed my GSXR 1000 for sale. I love the styling and handling. The only thing I wish it has is the reliability of my KTM 690 or other Japanese bikes. I love it dearly, but wonder when the head gasket is going to grenade.

Yep the only downside I see to ownership, I will still keep my other bikes just in case.

=maz=

Country flag
Better than the SV650???
That is a VERY big call. 55000km's on my SV...it is both a Commuter and Fun(Hoon) machine. It is bog-stock...it gets tyres, regular oil changes, lube and new fluids every year(at the most) and just never fails.

RC390 didn't last 1600km's before reliability issues set in.
Suspension work, braking package, pipe, rearsets.
Don't get me wrong...I had a blast when I did have it in street trim but there is no way the RC390 is as good as the SV...sure as shit isn't better.

rompus

Better than the SV650???
That is a VERY big call. 55000km's on my SV...it is both a Commuter and Fun(Hoon) machine. It is bog-stock...it gets tyres, regular oil changes, lube and new fluids every year(at the most) and just never fails.

RC390 didn't last 1600km's before reliability issues set in.
Suspension work, braking package, pipe, rearsets.
Don't get me wrong...I had a blast when I did have it in street trim but there is no way the RC390 is as good as the SV...sure as shit isn't better.

As far as better in regards to reliability based on this site you are correct. My SV is also bone stock and before the RC the SV was my favorite.But the light weight and flickability of the RC in my humble opinion has made it my favorite. The engine on the SV is superior without a doubt ,but again I find myself riding stupid on the SV, which is cabable of keeping up with the big boys on the twists, you just have to wring it out.Maybe better is the wrong word, for me the RC is more FUN.

Last edited:

isaac_

I love my RC. That being said, I'd race my SV over my RC any day. The only reason why I don't is being on a self-imposed hiatus until I can pick up some corner speed, technique, etc.