I did a dumb thing.

xlenduroman

I decided to do the first valve check/shim myself on my new '16 Duke. No big deal, I have checked/shimmed valve before. During the tear down I had the ECU sent out for the no cat Akra map. The valve adj was more (way more) involved them my Italian Husky's, but it was doable with out any hitches. I got the ECU back, bike buttoned up, and dropped the battery in the bike and hooked it up. BUT this wing nut thought he was working on his Husky's and with out thinking hooked it like the Husky's (the orientation of the battery in the frame), but it was backwards for the little Duke, D'oh!

When I hooked the neg cable up last (to the positive terminal) I heard a buzz/hum under the fuel tank and knew something was wrong, and I realized what I did. I then hooked up the battery correctly and replaced the main fuse that got taken out. It fired right up (thank goodness) but the idle is out of wack. The idle take a moment to settle from about 3k or so. I did the 15 minute cold start/idle but it didn't help. The lingering idle is quite annoying, especially cornering. If it was on a bigger bike it could be the death of me.

Anyone have any pointers on what to check? What electronic did I cook? Should I just swallow my pride and take it to the dealer to plug in to the KTM tool? Is the KTM tool capable of finding the issue?

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Man, I dunno. That has the potential to be $pendy. I feel your pain, having done something similar, but to SWMBO's car. Way bad...