Jumping into neutral from all gears

Went out for a ride around post and all was good. Then as I'm heading back home the bike just starts throwing itself into neutral and then acts like it down shifts then picks back up. Then it starts doing it repeatedly in quick succession. Feels like I'm riding a bucking bronco. Tried to ride in different gears and its still popping in and out of neutral with no contact on the shift lever. Then its cutting itself off while spasing out. Thought maybe I rode it a bit hard since it was the first time getting on it after 300 miles of not going over 50-55. Gave it a rest for about 2-3 hours. About 2 minutes into the second ride its popping in and out of neutral and bucking again. No check engine light and no fault indications. Anyone got a clue what's happening?

Update: Left the bike alone all Sunday in the garage. Went for a test ride this morning to see if I'd be able to make it to work or not. All was good and smooth for about 20 minutes. Then it starts with the same issue. Cruising in 2nd gear at about 25 mph then it starts going in and out of neutral and bouncing my forward and back like the throttle is going closed to full open or something. Try riding in 3rd and still doing the same but more so under 6k rpm. Bike is only at 415 miles

Last edited:

isaac_

Are you able to distinguish between going out of gear and throttle jerkiness? My experience has been that these bikes hate low rpms because they are generally lean from the factory. If you rev higher does it smooth out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gear indicator flashes to 0 and neutral light comes on but it happens within fractions of a second. In 2nd it happens all over the place on tach. The higher I go in gears the less frequent it happens over 6k rpm

Also I know that the bike runs a little too lean for my liking. But its been running fine for the past 2-300 miles. Tonight after work I'm going to strip it down and douple check the connections but it still baffles me that I can go riding for about an hour more than just my normal work commute and then it starts acting up.

green_bread

Country flag
I posted this on your FB post, but just so the info is here, as well:

I would guess you have an issue with the shift detent arm or the shift "star", itself. Sounds like the star is not being popped in to the right position correctly. I would start by pulling the clutch cover off and inspecting those parts as you try shifting through the gears.

If youre not comfortable with that, talk to a shop or take it back to the dealer if youre still under warranty.

hvlmike

Country flag
I agree it sounds like a shift detent issue...I'd order a factory pro detent arm kit for it ...it's pretty cheap and fixes the sloppy RC shifting.

So that would be the cause to just start jumping in a near brand new bike? Either way it's still under warranty so I'll have to unfortunately have to do the 4 hour drive to the dealer.

green_bread

Country flag
So that would be the cause to just start jumping in a near brand new bike? Either way it's still under warranty so I'll have to unfortunately have to do the 4 hour drive to the dealer.

Ive seen other things on these bikes fail right off the showroom floor. Just because something has low miles, it doesnt mean an issue cant pop up quickly... or that there wasnt an issue with assembly that was bound to fail sooner or later, etc. You just cant say for sure what the issue is, but I can tell you for sure that I wouldnt be riding it like that for fear of causing further damage.

Maybe if you bring up to the dealer that this is a brand new bike and its already having these issues before the break in period is done, they will work something out with you. That all just depends on the dealer and how much they care about customer service.

RickCrespo

Country flag
I've had the same issue on my 15. I replace the detent star, it helped it, also check your quick shifting system and ensure there are no issues with it. It will be easier to pop of gear if the sensor is triggered.