K and N Filter Air box lid

motoputz

Country flag
No riding in the rain with no air box cover is not fatal. If you did a very long ride (100+ miles) with a paper filter enough water might be absorbed by the filter to reduce airflow to the throttle body. And eventually destroy the filter, but that would take a lengthy continuous soaking of the filter. If you have a K&N filter, do not worry about it. As the bike is moving only small droplets of water could get pulled through the filter. You motor can handle a lot of small droplets of water. The biggest risk of not having a cover on your air box is parking in the rain. The location of the air box is right bellow where the seat meets the tank cover. If you bike spent hours out in the rain it is theoretically possible to fill the bottom of the air box with water. Worst case would be riding away with the water sloshing around in the box and then coming to a sudden stop. The water's momentum could carry it into the intake track and then the cylinder. At which point, depending on the amount of water the motor would stall or hydraulically lock. If it locks there is the risk of bending the connecting rod if the motor was spinning fairly fast.

There is no risk to the motor of riding in the rain with out the air box cover, as long as the filter is secured.

I try to avoid riding in the rain, but it happens. Is that fatal to the bike?

In my experience - I have ridden many times in the rain with the air box mod and K&N with no dramas at all - I have checked under the seat after the ride and no sign of water - although I have put black silicone I any hole under the back under the frame where say light wiring etc.. come through the body work - just as a precaution but probably not required -

Rcdan

Just wanted to add my experience with the airbox mod and k&n with Chads pcv and map. I guess it has been pretty well documented but for $400 give or take and 2 hours total install time it was really worth while. Really woke the bike up in the mid range. My brother and I swapped bikes on a ride and his first comment was " I can't believe how much power they are getting out of that little thing " And to be honest it doesn't seem that much louder to me either. We seem to have so many negative posts about this neat little bike lately that I thought I would add a sunshine. If it ever goes south on me as some have done I may change my opinion but as of now I am really liking it. Gotten a ton of very enthusiastic compliments on it from friends and strangers too.

cornerslider

+1 to what Rcdan said...... I did pretty much the same thing, with the same results. I can't stop smiling under my helmet every time it ride it!!!! I've put 1,200 miles on it, in six weeks, plus two track days. I have not had even one problem with the bike since day one. If the motor grenaded tomorrow, I'd be disappointed, but would just rebuild it, and keep loving it. I've had several sport bikes (this one being the smallest), I don't think I've EVER had this much fun on a sport bike-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 452

Same experience here- Definitely the best bang for the buck on these bikes.

ratlab

just did the k&n +airbox mod+pcv and stock pipe and dynoed-got a tick less than 43 rwhp.i was shocked at how it transformed the bike.

Rcdan

It really does make a seat of the pants improvement. I imagine the 0-60 time must be a little improved as a result of the much better mid range. Mine definitely pulls harder. My last favorite small bike was an fzr400 and the rc with the mods actually feels a little stronger down low than the fzr

Edwardp33

Country flag
Agreed great investment I cannot quantify the improvement but I would guess it feels like 10 to 15% with Chad's map