Lost that lovin feelin? Down in lap speed.

ryandalling

So the bike is dialed in. Rapid Bike tune by EDR is perfect. Quicks shifter rocks. The GP cartridges and Penske shock rock. I'm getting the hole shot most races. But my lap times are actually two seconds slower. My boot doesn't fit the race rearset akra exhaust combo when turning left and the left turns are my favorite. The abs removal made my heavy handed braking too much. And I no longer have any excuses.

The bike is a beast. But be careful. You do have to re learn how to ride it if you make too many changes at once.

Wa2fst

Country flag
Sure you will dial it back in! But you ate surely right on relearning the back after mods...especially suspension and feet position/orientation.

ArkansasDave

Anytime I make a change it always takes me a little while to exploit it. All you need is more and more seat time and the seconds will melt away.

mr-fabricator

Its been 4 months since on my rc as ive been concentrating on club 600 class , will be another 8 weeks untill im back on the 390 and im expecting 2-3 seconds slower untill i get that " seat time " lack of it or changes will set u back no doubt , chip away and your times will be better than ever .

tecknojoe

Country flag
How is the Akra at extreme lean angles? Are you dragging it? Also, what spools are you using, I heard that most spools will hit the akra...

I've been racing an R6 for a few years, so next season will be my first in lightweights. I'm hoping to enjoy the KTM and learn some new techniques

Last edited:

Tito_gsx

So the bike is dialed in. Rapid Bike tune by EDR is perfect. Quicks shifter rocks. The GP cartridges and Penske shock rock. I'm getting the hole shot most races. But my lap times are actually two seconds slower. My boot doesn't fit the race rearset akra exhaust combo when turning left and the left turns are my favorite. The abs removal made my heavy handed braking too much. And I no longer have any excuses.

The bike is a beast. But be careful. You do have to re learn how to ride it if you make too many changes at once.

Hey Ryan, what do you think you are missing in terms of meeting/beating your old laptime? What bike did you have previously? Sounds like you have great parts and maybe you just need more time to get the suspension, chassis and tire all working together. Surely you'll get there soon as this is first year running this bike I wouldn't be too critical

DCMoney

Country flag
My first weekend on the bike I was down about 3 seconds compared to my best time on my 250. Was very disheartening at first, but I just keep telling myself its because its new bike and I still need time to develope it and learn how to ride this one.

Next event at the same track is in 2 weeks so will be interesting to see what all the suspension, tires and engine upgrades will help me reach my 250 times from last season, or as I had hoped beat them.

nino209

quick question, did you change the ride height, i got the front en pretty much dialed in on my cup bike but the rear feels so damn loose, i have been racing a zx10 for the past few years.
and i know my expectations are all screwed up, it just feels like there is not weight in back

psych0hans

Country flag
What I read in another thread is that the weight distribution is skewed to the front, making the rear much lighter. Ideally there should be a 50/50 distribution, but here it's way off. Can you check using two bathroom scales?

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag

Ryan you look good out there to me! See you next weekend and hopefully you show the ninjas what Austrian horsepower looks like!
-Paxton.

ryandalling

Looks like more seat time was the issue... last weekend I shaved 2 full seconds off of my PR and finished the season a solid 4th in the ultralight GP championship points. The bike is dialed in and perfect. If I was 100 lbs lighter like the rest of the grid, I'd win them all. (I need to brake less too.)

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Looks like more seat time was the issue... last weekend I shaved 2 full seconds off of my PR and finished the season a solid 4th in the ultralight GP championship points. The bike is dialed in and perfect. If I was 100 lbs lighter like the rest of the grid, I'd win them all. (I need to brake less too.)

We were doing our best to cheer ya on from turn 1, the confidence you found was very noticeable. Job well done. I was inspired enough to turn my unsuspecting RC into a track bike, see ya next year.
Paxton.

psych0hans

Country flag
Looks like someone needs to hit the gym... Lol Good work! Keep it up :D

p.s. I probably need to hit the gym just as well, at 165lbs without gear with a height of only 5'7"

ToraTora

Country flag
Performance bikes are harder to ride. They generally aren't as forgiving when you make mistakes. It just takes time to get the skill level up to match the bike. This is why new riders don't start out on bikes that are strung out. :p

I'm curious, since this is clearly a track bike how come you aren't running slicks?