Motorcycle USA head to head small bike review

srt4evah

Country flag
2015 Entry-Level Sportbike Shootout - Motorcycle USA

The KTM is actually heavier than the Honda, although far better.

Strange thing I'm noticing in all these reviews is that the Yamaha R3 seems to be all over the place depending on who reviewed it. Some say the brakes and suspension are horrible, other reviews praise them. I wonder if they're having consistency issues with their manufacturing?

My Retro Career

I had the opportunity to have a very close look at the R3. I "considered" buying it in lieu of the RC, but truthfully, it never amounted to any serious decision on my part.
Just used it as a reference to justify my long-ago made decision to purchase to KTM.

The R3 looked and felt significantly larger than the RC390.
It also felt decidedly heavier, fully fueled. It certainly felt more than the 4 LB difference Motorcycle USA had reported.

I'd be interested to hear more about the brakes/suspension variables on the Yam though..

Chris The Welder

Reviews can make or break a bikes production run. I have owned many bikes that the press shot down. Some I liked, some I liked a lot. I currently own a bike that got horrible reviews and everywhere I go on it people comment on what they have read about the bike. Then I ask them if they have ever ridden one, none have. I knew when I found out the RC was coming Stateside I would get one. It was one of the first, if not the first in Arizona. No regrets. Not everyone is going to love it, but for me it's a perfect fit.

mr-fabricator

From one welder to the next i agree mate

Im having big issues with cut out at the mo and it wont be a cheep fix but i wouldnt swap the rc for anything . And my mate just got the R3 so i need to show him his errors !!!!!!

guzz46

I never pay too much attention to reviews, they're just another persons opinion, and quite often they're all over the place, for example... this review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9e2bYbodu8

States that the brakes on the RC are rubbish, and that he needed to use the rear to help slow him down, he also states that the CBR 300 is the best handling bike by a long way, yet it got the slowest lap time, 1.3 seconds slower than the Ninja 300 around a track that takes less than a minute to lap is a big difference, that can't just be because its down on power, its 7hp down on the Ninja, but its also 24lbs lighter, and apparently the best handling bike by a long way.
He also stated that the RC jumped out of gear on a couple of occasions, well my RC's never jumped out of gear, and the brakes are fantastic, no need for the rear brake at all..

You should read reviews on hifi gear, they're even worse, if you want my advice... don't put your trust in reviews, you be the judge.

Seth

Country flag
Chris The Welder is right. My review? I think this bike is so freaking bad ass. I love the inseam (31"). I love the weight,super light. The sound of the thumper engine is amazing. I can always find the gear (even down shift to first if I want to!). Brakes work like a dream (I came to a stop from 35mph the other day stopping at a sudden red light). Wow, so impressed. Get a RC390!

Last edited:
My opinion is read the Reviews look at the bikes in the flesh test ride the bike for yourself and give it your own review - Who cares what other people say about a bike All I can say Is I took one look at the RC test rode it then purchased - No looking back the RC is a blast and I have owned many bikes

Im with Seth Get a RC 390 :)

srt4evah

Country flag
I'd have to test ride one too, before making a real decision, but I somehow doubt dealers will be offering test rides until they wind up having bikes sit in the lot for a month or two. RC390's are still too hot, I think.

Rodolfo

Use lap times as your best review

Especialy when they come from the same expert rider

Not the rider vs the editor

Rc is the fastest on The track

Maybe not The best bike for the street, but i am no looking to be the fastest on the high way