Need help regarding engine

rudra2k14

Can anyone recognise the crack in the picture?
Is it risky?
I don’t ride bike much. Just keep it start once or twice a week.

f9a276d5155939cd44f0a9cd4f1b5961.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This crack is not an issue as long as there s not a lot of dust able to entere is no pressure, no high temperature in this area, so it should be quite east to fix by specific glue, I imagine

rudra2k14

Is it normal for engine oil smelling if i start the engine once a week?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I would say "normal" is a subjective term in this regard. Some people might be more sensitive to smells and able to pick out something better than others. It's certainly possible to get a very small amount of oil to get past the rings and burn on engine start if the bike has sat a while. As long as you aren't noticing any significant amount of fluctuation of your oil level it's likely not a big deal. If it's burning oil and you are able to see the oil level dropping then it could be a cause of concern.

rudra2k14

I would say "normal" is a subjective term in this regard. Some people might be more sensitive to smells and able to pick out something better than others. It's certainly possible to get a very small amount of oil to get past the rings and burn on engine start if the bike has sat a while. As long as you aren't noticing any significant amount of fluctuation of your oil level it's likely not a big deal. If it's burning oil and you are able to see the oil level dropping then it could be a cause of concern.

What is the solution in case of dropping oil level?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
What is the solution in case of dropping oil level?

An engine rebuild to some extent. Either you have a blown headgasket and are getting blowby from the oil passages into your combustion chamber, or your rings are worn and are letting too much oil past them. You could troubleshoot the rings with a compression test. If you are getting oil levels dropping and are having to add oil to maintain the proper oil reservoir amount, then the most likely cause is the headgasket. Headgaskets on this bike are a known potential problem area, but the fix itself is pretty easy, and likely KTM would cover it under warranty... depending on your dealer. On the latest models, KTM revised the head so that they aren't popping the gasket as easily. When the head gasket goes, it generally will mix the oil and water, so your oil turns into a milky brown color. Alternatively, you could have coolant get into the combustion chamber which keeps the bike from starting, or you could get oil into the combustion chamber at which point you could smell the oil burning. It could be the early stages of failure. When it fully goes, it would either foul the plug entirely (against preventing it from running) or you could end up with a smoke show as you go down the road. Oil levels dropping is never a good sign tho.

rudra2k14

An engine rebuild to some extent. Either you have a blown headgasket and are getting blowby from the oil passages into your combustion chamber, or your rings are worn and are letting too much oil past them. You could troubleshoot the rings with a compression test. If you are getting oil levels dropping and are having to add oil to maintain the proper oil reservoir amount, then the most likely cause is the headgasket. Headgaskets on this bike are a known potential problem area, but the fix itself is pretty easy, and likely KTM would cover it under warranty... depending on your dealer. On the latest models, KTM revised the head so that they aren't popping the gasket as easily. When the head gasket goes, it generally will mix the oil and water, so your oil turns into a milky brown color. Alternatively, you could have coolant get into the combustion chamber which keeps the bike from starting, or you could get oil into the combustion chamber at which point you could smell the oil burning. It could be the early stages of failure. When it fully goes, it would either foul the plug entirely (against preventing it from running) or you could end up with a smoke show as you go down the road. Oil levels dropping is never a good sign tho.

No leak from head gasket. As i got new gasket 4/5 months back. Actually i don’t ride bike much these days but keep the bike start once or twice per week to keep the engine & battery alive.

Tom

If it is hard to start the bike when the engine is cold, then it's probably the piston rings.

You could always spray the motor down with some de-greaser and see if there are any leaks after taking it for a ride.

As far as the crack, scrub it really well with an old toothbrush and some acetone. Once you get it nice, clean and dry, use some of the putty JB weld and mash it in there.

Side note, can anyone comment on how these motors vent positive crank case pressure?

rudra2k14

If it is hard to start the bike when the engine is cold, then it's probably the piston rings.

You could always spray the motor down with some de-greaser and see if there are any leaks after taking it for a ride.

As far as the crack, scrub it really well with an old toothbrush and some acetone. Once you get it nice, clean and dry, use some of the putty JB weld and mash it in there.

Side note, can anyone comment on how these motors vent positive crank case pressure?

My bike don’t struggle on startup while the engine is cold. just one self and it starts. But i’ve noticed lil bit of low engine oil. Is this because of the air filter crack?