Not a good start...

djwille88

Country flag
Well I purchased a 2016 Rc 390 US version a couple weeks ago. The fuel level sensor was bad right out of the dealer..not a big deal. (Dealer ordered part). I've taken the bike the out for short rides since it's been 25 years since I've ridden a motorcycle and I'm trying to shake the riders nerves. Took the bike to work this morning and it totally died on me..digital display as well. The only thing that works are the turn signals...ugh. Not sure what the heck happened. The bike only has 50 miles on it and I'm already having issues with it..

I hope this isn't going to be a trend.

tt2013

Well I purchased a 2016 Rc 390 US version a couple weeks ago. The fuel level sensor was bad right out of the dealer..not a big deal. (Dealer ordered part). I've taken the bike the out for short rides since it's been 25 years since I've ridden a motorcycle and I'm trying to shake the riders nerves. Took the bike to work this morning and it totally died on me..digital display as well. The only thing that works are the turn signals...ugh. Not sure what the heck happened. The bike only has 50 miles on it and I'm already having issues with it..

Hello. Was the bike fully warmed up before you took off to work? I had the same issue with my bike if I didn't have it fully warmed up. Not sure why it happens.

Ryanthegreat1

Took the bike to work this morning and it totally died on me..digital display as well. The only thing that works are the turn signals...ugh. Not sure what the heck happened.

This sounds like the kill switch was flipped. Or there is an issue with the switch.

That switch kills the cluster and engine and leaves the blinkers working. I had that moment after doing some maintenance and had a brief what did I break thought. Then I found the kill switch got flipped.

simpletty

Country flag

Being "OK" with issues right out of the gate is too easy on KTM imho. The bike should be tested and ready to go out of the gate, we are too easy an say "oh well" its not that bad. If this was your brand new gmc or ford or chrysler you would be in a less happy manner. I'm not criticizing you personally, I did the same thing the first couple of times, but now its not acceptable in any way shape or form. Yes it does sound like an emergency kill switch issues to me as well, but Ktms lack of customer support shows the lack of interest in helping or even talking to us 390 owners. I have sent multiple emails, voice messages and ZERO response from anyone. Never again KTM, :I'm sure many first time KTM buyers will not return again due to this, I am one of them. Anyway good luck

big_sur

Maybe you can go buy a Porsche next, I'm sure they're on par with Honda in terms of reliability.

Treachery

Country flag
This sounds like the kill switch was flipped. Or there is an issue with the switch.

That switch kills the cluster and engine and leaves the blinkers working. I had that moment after doing some maintenance and had a brief what did I break thought. Then I found the kill switch got flipped.

This was my thought as well. Keep us posted.

DeathFromAbove

Simpletty, you should trade your bike in for something else and join the appropriate forum for it.

OP, good luck resolving your issue.

simpletty

Country flag
Simpletty, you should trade your bike in for something else and join the appropriate forum for it.

OP, good luck resolving your issue.
I have three other bikes, zero issues from day one and still none to date. I guess free speech is no longer a right DeathFromAbove? Quit protecting a product that is sub par guys. I was in love with the bike at one time as well. But that affair is over and I'm stuck with it in the repair shop. Trust me its gone once It is repaired. You all can have the nonchalant attitude of ok, its just a small problem and its ok. Good luck keeping these things on the road long-term. Highly unlikely they will make it too far. Some have had success while too many have had failures. Face the facts in front of you, its destined to fail and fail horribly.

reenmachine

Country flag
I have three other bikes, zero issues from day one and still none to date. I guess free speech is no longer a right DeathFromAbove? Quit protecting a product that is sub par guys. I was in love with the bike at one time as well. But that affair is over and I'm stuck with it in the repair shop. Trust me its gone once It is repaired. You all can have the nonchalant attitude of ok, its just a small problem and its ok. Good luck keeping these things on the road long-term. Highly unlikely they will make it too far. Some have had success while too many have had failures. Face the facts in front of you, its destined to fail and fail horribly.

If you think this has anything to do with free speech, you have no understanding of what free speech means.

All DFA is saying is that you never pass up an opportunity to trash talk the bike in any thread in any area of the forum, and we're getting sick of hearing it. Yes, we acknowledge you've had a lot of problems and are disgruntled, WE GET IT. At this point you're not offering the community anything of value and should move on.

DeathFromAbove

^^Couldn't have said it better myself.

A large percentage of threads on this forum derail. Please excuse my role in this one.

So! Back on track...
The issue here seems to be with the run (kill?) switch circuit. Either operator error or issue with the bike.

Last edited:

simpletty

Country flag
If you think this has anything to do with free speech, you have no understanding of what free speech means.

All DFA is saying is that you never pass up an opportunity to trash talk the bike in any thread in any area of the forum, and we're getting sick of hearing it. Yes, we acknowledge you've had a lot of problems and are disgruntled, WE GET IT. At this point you're not offering the community anything of value and should move on.

I hope that my negativity and bad luck will possibly influence someone into second guessing buying one. Not to say that each bike will fail, have to give Ktm some benefit of the doubt here. I guess I am pissed and hung up on the fact that I am losing my riding season with absolutely no response from the company who made the bike, I have some good stuff to say, :I think its a great looking bike and when it was running I was able to thrash the shit outta it and it really was a blast to blow buy the 600 guys in the corners. I will try to be more objective and since it is fun to ride Ill give it another chance when I get it back. It has its own personality and minus all the bad somewhere there is a ray of light when you get on it and just go ride. Its looking like its going to get converted to a track only bike now so most of the lesser components will be put in a bin in the garage. Sorry fellas, I guess you are right, repetitive and boring, I get it.
Sorry for the derail.....

And yes I agree sounds like engine safety kill switch cutting the power. Should be a quick fix for the dealer.

djwille88

Country flag
Thanks for the replies fellas! I looked down at the kill switch as I coasted to stop thinking I might have hit it by mistake. (It was ok). Flipped it on/off it a few times as well in a attempt to restart the bike without success. Waited a hour and retried multiple times...no good.

Spoke to the dealer and he sent a guy to pickup the bike for me. Before he arrived I checked the bike again and it started right up..crap. Go figure. I'd rather it fail hard than pop up as some intermittent problem.

simpletty

Country flag
Thanks for the replies fellas! I looked down at the kill switch as I coasted to stop thinking I might have hit it by mistake. (It was ok). Flipped it on/off it a few times as well in a attempt to restart the bike without success. Waited a hour and retried multiple times...no good.

Spoke to the dealer and he sent a guy to pickup the bike for me. Before he arrived I checked the bike again and it started right up..crap. Go figure. I'd rather it fail hard than pop up as some intermittent problem.

Just make sure to tell the dealer to flip the kill switch several times then attempt to start, if its slightly intermittent hopefully it acts up. Who knows they just may replace it under the fact of how you described the fault to save you, and them. a trip back to the shop. Good luck

Diploman

DJW, Did you happen to notice whether there was any overheating indication on the dash? The symptoms sound like you may have been bitten by the self-disassembling fan bug, which often has attacked in the first few miles of operation. Easy fix, no worry.

djwille88

Country flag
Hey Dip, I unfortunately didn't check for engine over heating. It was a cool Californian morning and I'm approx 12 miles from work so I wasn't concerned about overheating. So this can happen that quickly? Does it kill the dash as well bike in a overheat situation? I did try to restart about 1 hour later with no success.

djwille88

Country flag
Just an update on my new RC. Mechanic found a random bolt hanging from the fuel pump magnet. He was a bit shocked because the bolt is not common to KTM bikes. I also explained to the mechanic I believe the bike has other issues besides fuel pump problems. IE led display dying when the bike stalled. He told me he was going to check out the charging system as well...if everything looks good bike will ready in the morning. Get a call from the dealer that bike puked on a test ride....man this bike is turning out to be a complete turd...

Last edited:

stevieboy

Country flag
The reliability is all over the place. Add the unfamiliarity the Techs have with the new model and it can seem like you've won the "bad" lottery

djwille88

Country flag
The reliability is all over the place. Add the unfamiliarity the Techs have with the new model and it can seem like you've won the "bad" lottery

The bolt had to have fallen into the fuel pump assembly at the factory since the bike hasn't been serviced yet..total of 66 miles on it. This week marks my first month of ownership and the bike has been in the shop over a 2 weeks now, it's embarrassing. People keep asking me how's the new bike treating me..and I reply...bike's still in the shop!