Over heating

Rc390behr

Over heating is a problem for a lot of KTM rc 390 owners, I wanted to start a thread to talk on ways and safe ways to reduce heat, but to let you know KTM dealers and calling around and talking to KTM workers in making the bike, and also the manual stats that the normal temp is 10 bars, a lot of people that own other bikes worry because that seems high in a sense, but mine runs no more that 7 bars with the steps I took. NEVER RAP YOUR HEADERS, this will void your warranty for your exhaust headers and also engine, WARNING!!!! Things that won't that I used is engine ice which dropped a bar or two, and also changing the oil they use, because dealers put the cheap stuff in, and they told me what they used and what I can use. Good oil and good coolant is what you need, also going over 7500 rpm in the first 600 miles will also rune the breakin for the bike, and can cause it to malfunction sadly. This was the first bike that I know of that does this. I have owned many new bikes before, but man is the KTM fun. Let me know what you guys do to keep the temp down.

Guyhowdy

Many would argue, not* going over 7500rpms will ruin your break in during the first 600 miles. What malfunctions will occur by going over 7500rpms?

desmo

I barely have any miles (108) but I did notice the multiple bars and regular run of the fan. I live in Central California, and it rarely gets above 78. I heard the bikes run lean for California to pass emissions. My buddies bike runs the same way.

HermannNW

my Rc marks hight coolant temperature, do you have this kind of problems, I think that this problem is due because sometimes the fan works, sometimes dont, in ktms agency say that all is working properly even the thermostat. what do you think about that

ryandalling

I broke my bike in on the race track at 10k RPM. 600 miles of racing. No issues at all. The bike runs hot due to the map being too lean. If you get a power commander or something, then it cools it down. A lot.

s30series

I "rap" my headers to keep temps down and it works A.O.K.

Also do it to my track preppred BRZ.

Also do it to my yamaha bolt.

Also did it to my 280Z L28T

Curious as to why you say don't do it. Personal angst against it?

MrGrody

"Break in period" to me = try to break it. Ride it like you stole it.

I do plan on swapping out stock coolant with water wetter but I haven't had any over heating issues and it's been 104° here.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fos373

I broke my bike in on the race track at 10k RPM. 600 miles of racing. No issues at all. The bike runs hot due to the map being too lean. If you get a power commander or something, then it cools it down. A lot.

Ryan - can you explain what you did? I'd be very interested.

Thanks

B

ryandalling

Ryan - can you explain what you did? I'd be very interested.

Thanks

B

More of a tongue in cheek comment... I did the morning practice sessions at a 90% pace and then never looked back. I am a firm believer that modern machines actually break in better if you ride them as intended... like MrGrody said... like you stole it.

micahpearlman

More of a tongue in cheek comment... I did the morning practice sessions at a 90% pace and then never looked back. I am a firm believer that modern machines actually break in better if you ride them as intended... like MrGrody said... like you stole it.

I bought mine. Rode it once on the street a couple of miles to the local bar to show off. Got it race ready and flogged the crap out of it from the first practice on. Changed the oil to synthetic and checked the valves (in spec) after the 2nd race weekend. Ran some good numbers on the dyno just a week ago -- so seems fine. I know Ryan ran some really good #'s on the dyno...

I flushed the old coolant out with distilled water till it ran clear from the drain plug and breather and put in engine ice. The bike runs slightly cooler according to the temp gauge. The fan doesn't come on as often at stop lights and if it does it cuts out quicker once you take off. I also removed that black fairing piece in front of the radiator. Other than that, no overheating problems with the bike. Just did those measures as preventative maintenance.

RobbiRob76

I owned a Honda Dealership for 10 years before i sold it and to a job in the Motorcycle Racing Industry. I sold thousands of motorcycles, and never had ONE ISSUE in 10 years due to improper break in...