Overheating engine, radiator fan stays on.

=maz=

Country flag
I thought I fixed this problem with Evans coolant but it just started happening again. Pukes coolant when not hot and then temp creeps 2 bars when you shut off the bike to add fuel and restart. Oh and it's a blistering 50 degrees fahrenheit in Seattle, WA, USA.

Power Commander (12.7 AFR @ WOT)
Head gasket
water pump
SPAL fan
Evans waterless coolant (tried Engine Ice before that)
1.6 bar radiator cap

Any level of change in your Rad-overflow bottle at the time of the overheating?

D

Deleted member 452

It goes like this every time this happens but it doesn't do it every ride and it's not weather dependent...
Riding for an hour with no increase in temp but I notice coolant all over my frame, motor, pant leg, swingarm, etc.. when I stop. Start the bike a couple minutes later and the temp is 2 bars higher than normal but it cools off in 5 minutes. check the coolant level when I get home after the bike has cooled off and the overflow tank is full and so is the radiator. After this happens 3+ rides in a row, I notice it's low on coolant so I add some & burp it and then it doesn't seem to have this problem for 600- 1,000 miles. It's been 85 degrees with traffic and it didn't do it and then sometimes it will do it when it's 45 degrees and I'm riding back roads with no stops.

=maz=

Country flag
Probably blown a head-gasket.
The rise in temp when you switch off and then back on shortly after is to be expected.

The overflow tank may be full because of the difference in pressure owing to a blown head-gasket.
When/if you pull it apart check between the sections of the gasket...that's where mine blew.
Is the gasket OEM or aftermarket?

CDN Duke

Country flag
It goes like this every time this happens but it doesn't do it every ride and it's not weather dependent...
Riding for an hour with no increase in temp but I notice coolant all over my frame, motor, pant leg, swingarm, etc.. when I stop. Start the bike a couple minutes later and the temp is 2 bars higher than normal but it cools off in 5 minutes. check the coolant level when I get home after the bike has cooled off and the overflow tank is full and so is the radiator. After this happens 3+ rides in a row, I notice it's low on coolant so I add some & burp it and then it doesn't seem to have this problem for 600- 1,000 miles. It's been 85 degrees with traffic and it didn't do it and then sometimes it will do it when it's 45 degrees and I'm riding back roads with no stops.

Ugh, sorry to hear. Keep us updated. Last time it happened, you got the head gasket done under warranty I think?

D

Deleted member 452

Correct. It's been happening on and off again for the last 2K miles but unlike last time, there is no cross-contamination with my coolant & oil so I don't think it's the head gasket. I'll be adjusting my valves in a couple weeks and will do some more investigation with the bike apart.

D

Deleted member 452

I'm running chad's thin head gasket which did cause detonation before I pulled a lot of timing out and richened it up more. I don't recommend this head gasket for a street bike running 92 octane where there are mountains (Washington state) but I also don't think it's failed.

Probably blown a head-gasket.
The rise in temp when you switch off and then back on shortly after is to be expected.

The overflow tank may be full because of the difference in pressure owing to a blown head-gasket.
When/if you pull it apart check between the sections of the gasket...that's where mine blew.
Is the gasket OEM or aftermarket?

Diploman

It sounds to me as if you must have a leak somewhere in your cooling system. Pressure and coolant seem to be escaping. Might be a pinhole in the radiator, a crack, a hose attachment point that is not sealing correctly, a fatigued hose, etc. If it's not the head gasket, coolant certainly is fleeing out some other escape route.

=maz=

Country flag
Correct. It's been happening on and off again for the last 2K miles but unlike last time, there is no cross-contamination with my coolant & oil so I don't think it's the head gasket. I'll be adjusting my valves in a couple weeks and will do some more investigation with the bike apart.

In the 3 head-gasket failures we have had there has been no cross-contamination.

=maz=

Country flag
Was the bike obviously down on power or did you do a compression check to discover the failure?

Rad fluid was constantly forced into the Rad-overflow bottle and then into my socondary catch-bottle.
Power was down a little but the obvious sign was the overflow over-filling in each race/session.

picto

Country flag
Speaking with some guys that work at KTM, they told me that moving the cooler forward just at the bottom, by one additional rubber mounting block, this flattens the angle of the radiator and increases flow.

this and the less restrictive SPAL fan will help alot.

D

Deleted member 452

It sounds to me as if you must have a leak somewhere in your cooling system. Pressure and coolant seem to be escaping. Might be a pinhole in the radiator, a crack, a hose attachment point that is not sealing correctly, a fatigued hose, etc. If it's not the head gasket, coolant certainly is fleeing out some other escape route.

The "leak" seems to be it puking coolant when the temp gauge shows no increase in temp but I will be looking for leaks when adjusting my valves.

D

Deleted member 452

In the 3 head-gasket failures we have had there has been no cross-contamination.

There was coolant in the oil when mine failed at 4.1K miles but thanks for sharing your experience. My head was milled so if these bikes go through head gaskets every 5-9K miles, I'm going to be very, very disappointed.

=maz=

Country flag
There was coolant in the oil when mine failed at 4.1K miles but thanks for sharing your experience. My head was milled so if these bikes go through head gaskets every 5-9K miles, I'm going to be very, very disappointed.
Mine was also milled...lasted less than 30 minutes.Full top-end replaced under warranty luckily.
Fitted with High-pressure Rad-cap, SPAL fan, Chad's Gaskets...5-lap sprint races and both overflows were full to capacity.

However, since the full rebuild of the top-end using OEM parts and done under warranty, there have been absolutely no problems with one bike and the second to receive the same treatment is holding up too...all be it with limited testing so far.

D

Deleted member 452

Good to know.
Mine was also milled...lasted less than 30 minutes.Full top-end replaced under warranty luckily.
Fitted with High-pressure Rad-cap, SPAL fan, Chad's Gaskets...5-lap sprint races and both overflows were full to capacity.

However, since the full rebuild of the top-end using OEM parts and done under warranty, there have been absolutely no problems with one bike and the second to receive the same treatment is holding up too...all be it with limited testing so far.

shreeshar7

The CAP.!

Guys... I feel the problem is with the radiator pressure cap.
Try replacing it and then bleed the system once.

One of my friends had the issue where after a ride if I turned off the bike and again turned it on after a while..the temperature would skyrocket.. Also fans keep running.

The pressure cap letting go pressure earlier could cause boil and all the temp issues.

Try replacing the That CAP and please update.!

D

Deleted member 452

Has anyone tried copper coating on an OEM gasket? Many people swear by this stuff for making gaskets seal better and remain more durable.

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...rmatex-copper-spray-a-gasket-hi-temp-sealant/

Chad recommended using this spray when I replaced my motor and had him do some head work. I sprayed the stock thickness Cometic gasket and now have 900 miles with no problems. I finally broke 100mph (101 to be exact) which ain't bad for a Duke (less aerodynamic than the RC).