Piggyback fuel mapping

rippedcb

So cpl of weekends ago i got my Bazzaz unit installed along with a new pipe and spark plug. Granted i wasn't educated enough on the functions of a piggy but i'm a little disappointed with this unit. I was under the impression that i'd be able to see the base fuel map and adjust it manually as needed. However, unless i'm missing something, i'm not able to to see the base fuel map.. i CAN adjust fuel at any given point, but isn't that just shooting darts in the dark as i can't even see what setting i'm adjusting?

So is DYNO the only way to optimize these maps? I've put the MNNTHBX map on my piggy (which they have dyno tested (i think)) but the issue is i had changed my base map from stock NA duke map to the Akro map.. which is much much richer and MNNTHBX have developed their map to over-write the stock map..

What can/should i do? should i go back to KTM and get them to flash the base map back on ($60) or am i able to do anything else? If i go back to KTM to get the fuel map flashed, would i need to remove the Piggyback or would they still be able to do it with the piggy installed?

I feel i'm running too RICH atm. I had to lower fuel by 20% at RPM 15K-25K to stop it from stalling while idling. Otherwise she runs beautiful in the mid range. She now pulls like she's never pulled before and i love Revving it higher now. Previously i was shifting closer to 7.5-8K as i felt the bike lost its pull, now i'm shifting closer to the 9-10K. Any suggestions? Tips? comments?

Is it worth going back and getting base map flashed or should i just play around with the map myself trying to tinker with it (it is fun)

KTMGene390

So cpl of weekends ago i got my Bazzaz unit installed along with a new pipe and spark plug. Granted i wasn't educated enough on the functions of a piggy but i'm a little disappointed with this unit. I was under the impression that i'd be able to see the base fuel map and adjust it manually as needed. However, unless i'm missing something, i'm not able to to see the base fuel map.. i CAN adjust fuel at any given point, but isn't that just shooting darts in the dark as i can't even see what setting i'm adjusting?

So is DYNO the only way to optimize these maps? I've put the MNNTHBX map on my piggy (which they have dyno tested (i think)) but the issue is i had changed my base map from stock NA duke map to the Akro map.. which is much much richer and MNNTHBX have developed their map to over-write the stock map..

What can/should i do? should i go back to KTM and get them to flash the base map back on ($60) or am i able to do anything else? If i go back to KTM to get the fuel map flashed, would i need to remove the Piggyback or would they still be able to do it with the piggy installed?

I feel i'm running too RICH atm. I had to lower fuel by 20% at RPM 15K-25K to stop it from stalling while idling. Otherwise she runs beautiful in the mid range. She now pulls like she's never pulled before and i love Revving it higher now. Previously i was shifting closer to 7.5-8K as i felt the bike lost its pull, now i'm shifting closer to the 9-10K. Any suggestions? Tips? comments?

Is it worth going back and getting base map flashed or should i just play around with the map myself trying to tinker with it (it is fun)

IMHO, the best thing for you being new to all this is Bazzaz's Z-AFM (Air Fuel Mapper) add on which includes a wideband O2 sensor to automate the fuel mapping process. This way you can remap your bike as you ride and even for changes in altitude, just bring your laptop.

HFD1 Tuner

You just get to see what map is loaded on the Bazzaz not what is in the ecu fuel table. So without a dyno or the AFM tuning part of the bazzaz you are shooting in the dark. You have the old butt-o-meter... Your option is set up some dyno time or buy the AFM kit to go with the Bazzaz. Follow the directions on the AFM VERY close or you can stack changes and quickly go over rich or lean...seen this at the track many times

rippedcb

Thanks for the reply guys. Guess i'll have to find someone with DYNO here in Vancouver, Canada. I doubt anyone here does.

rippedcb

Just out of curiosity.. If i had to go back to the dealer and i wanted the stock ecu flashed with a different map.. would i need to remove the piggyback ecu? or could they do it while its still installed?

psych0hans

Country flag
Just out of curiosity.. If i had to go back to the dealer and i wanted the stock ecu flashed with a different map.. would i need to remove the piggyback ecu? or could they do it while its still installed?
Depends on how much you love your warranty :p

rippedcb

IMHO, the best thing for you being new to all this is Bazzaz's Z-AFM (Air Fuel Mapper) add on which includes a wideband O2 sensor to automate the fuel mapping process. This way you can remap your bike as you ride and even for changes in altitude, just bring your laptop.

I agree with you. I made the genuine mistake of being cheap and not purchasing it.. but i still don't mind purchasing it, the only thing is that it took the installer 4hrs to install this on the bike last time (he did also put on a slip on ~20min job with fairings off) and cost me over $400 in labor. I don't mind paying for the self mapper... but i'm probably looking at another 3,5 hrs of labor which is ridiculous. Unless i go attempt it myself..

KTMGene390

I agree with you. I made the genuine mistake of being cheap and not purchasing it.. but i still don't mind purchasing it, the only thing is that it took the installer 4hrs to install this on the bike last time (he did also put on a slip on ~20min job with fairings off) and cost me over $400 in labor. I don't mind paying for the self mapper... but i'm probably looking at another 3,5 hrs of labor which is ridiculous. Unless i go attempt it myself..

The Bazzaz Z-AFM is completely worth the time and money. I have it on my bike and it works better than most dyno operators lol. I installed mine myself but be warned this bike is not easy or quick (hence your service bill) to work on. Oh, and I hope you have very small hands because you will need them! ;)

rippedcb

Really? nobody can answer a simple question if the piggy needs to be removed before flashing the stock ecu or not?