Plastic buzzing...

SneakyOwl

Hiya,

I've ridden my RC390 for about 500KM now, and am digging it so far, but I can't stand the damn buzzing sound of plastic vibrating in low RPM's.
Does anyone else have this? It sounds like it comes from the front area, but I havn't been able to locate it yet.
The sound makes it sound SO CHEAP. It's almost embarrassing taking off from a stop-light.

psych0hans

Country flag
It's most likely from the windscreen. I'm about 95% sure it's from there as when I hold the windscreen the sound goes away.

Last edited:

RobbiRob76

You should be riding with ear plugs. Many reasons for this including blocking out the cheap sounding rattles.

Mine does it.... I have gone through and Loctite all windscreen fasteners, I THINK it has to do with the instrument cluster and the plastic surrounding? Not sure but it is annoying

yep, mine does it as well. I haven't been able to pin down the source(s) yet. There's so much plastic on the front end to rattle around I don't really know where to start, aha. I thought I'd try the locktite and see where that goes. Did it help at all Robbi?

RobbiRob76

yep, mine does it as well. I haven't been able to pin down the source(s) yet. There's so much plastic on the front end to rattle around I don't really know where to start, aha. I thought I'd try the locktite and see where that goes. Did it help at all Robbi?

Not one bit.... I really believe it is behind the instrument cluster...
If anyone solves the mystery, please share! My biggest complaint to date...

psych0hans

Country flag
Not one bit.... I really believe it is behind the instrument cluster...
If anyone solves the mystery, please share! My biggest complaint to date...

i have it narrowed down to the windscreen. Going to try adding double sided tape between the screen and the mounting points. If that doesn't solve it, I don't know what will.

SneakyOwl

Looks like I will have to tear down the front to find out... At least I'm not the only one with this issue

green_bread

Country flag
I dont think its the windscreen, specifically. I ran my bike naked around my neighborhood and still had the buzzing. There are some connectors in there that could be causing the buzzing. Also, the fairing stay is split in to two pieces. There are a lot of possibilities about what could be rattling in there. Are you sure its not the battery cover? When you hear the buzzing, try pulling the battery cover back toward you and see if it stops.

SneakyOwl

Same here, mine is a bit different and not so obviously fixed by holding the windscreen.
The battery cover MIGHT be a suspect here. I need to try it out some more later tonight.

RobbiRob76

Same here, mine is a bit different and not so obviously fixed by holding the windscreen.
The battery cover MIGHT be a suspect here. I need to try it out some more later tonight.

Maybe battery cover, but I replaced mine with the Tyga Tank/Battery cover and the noise is exactly the same. You would think given different materials would bring at least a different tone?

barryc

I've narrowed mine down to the two plastic rivets that are below visible thru the windscreen...down behind the instrument cluster. The design and the contact of the two plastic halves coming together are a source. Plus there is a single fastner up under the very front...i've caught this to be loose on one occasion. Tightening it...almost over tightening it...solved it. On track days...it would be very evident. I also put on a Werkes exhaust. I no longer hear any vibration noise...at all. :D

RobbiRob76

I've narrowed mine down to the two plastic rivets that are below visible thru the windscreen...down behind the instrument cluster. The design and the contact of the two plastic halves coming together are a source. Plus there is a single fastner up under the very front...i've caught this to be loose on one occasion. Tightening it...almost over tightening it...solved it. On track days...it would be very evident. I also put on a Werkes exhaust. I no longer hear any vibration noise...at all. :D

That makes a lot of sense! Like I said earlier it sounds like it was behind the instrument cluster...

Buildable

I spent so damn long trying to figure this one out! Holding the windshield fixed my rattle so I tore that out tried foams etc nothing worked. After breaking everything down I found it was those stupid goddamn plastic rivets in the windshield! I replaced mine with the orange ebay ones and problem solved!Bike is now 100% rattle free! Not that I could hear much of anything over the werkes exhaust.

RobbiRob76

I spent so damn long trying to figure this one out! Holding the windshield fixed my rattle so I tore that out tried foams etc nothing worked. After breaking everything down I found it was those stupid goddamn plastic rivets in the windshield! I replaced mine with the orange ebay ones and problem solved!Bike is now 100% rattle free! Not that I could hear much of anything over the werkes exhaust.

Nice Job Man!

stevieboy

Country flag
Are those the same plastic "rivets" that hold the inner side of the fairing to the radiator cover? Those seem to be a part prone to breakage if you are removing or replacing the fairings to work on the bike. At $6.49 apiece to replace I am looking for another option.

Fasteddy

Country flag
M4 metric nut rivets, 50 cents each and can be installed with no special tools....

For the front two under the windshield I plan on using speed clips the next time I have it all torn down.

20160326_135448.jpg