Pop/Expanding Rivets - KTM # 90114062001

rick

I lost some of the pop rivets holding the side panels onto the radiator guard (see here) during the break-in service last weekend. The best price I've found online is $4.87 each! Since I can buy generic pop rivets on amazon for closer to $0.10 each I'd like to find an alternative source.

How do you measure them exactly?

Throwing one on a tape measure (I don't have a caliper handy just now), I get ~6mm hole size, ~14mm overall diameter and ~22mm total length (~22m for the pin and ~15 for the socket). Does that sound about right? Which length do I want?

Here's a couple amazon links:
Amico 6mm Trim Clips (20/$2.31): 6mm hole size, 12mm max diameter, 25mm length.
Amico 6mm Push Type Plastic Rivet (100/$7.82): 6mm hole, 15mm max diameter, 15mm length

s30series

I lost some of the pop rivets holding the side panels onto the radiator guard (see here) during the break-in service last weekend. The best price I've found online is $4.87 each! Since I can buy generic pop rivets on amazon for closer to $0.10 each I'd like to find an alternative source.

How do you measure them exactly?

Throwing one on a tape measure (I don't have a caliper handy just now), I get ~6mm hole size, ~14mm overall diameter and ~22mm total length (~22m for the pin and ~15 for the socket). Does that sound about right? Which length do I want?

Here's a couple amazon links:
Amico 6mm Trim Clips (20/$2.31): 6mm hole size, 12mm max diameter, 25mm length.
Amico 6mm Push Type Plastic Rivet (100/$7.82): 6mm hole, 15mm max diameter, 15mm length

I need some as well and saw the same price. I can't help but think the price is for a package of 10 or so?

rick

I would sure hope so, but I've paid $2/each for pop rivets from the dealer on other bikes. So, the $4.87 each is pretty bad but, not necessarily out of the rip-off range I might expect for OEM parts.

I decided to risk the $2.31 and ordered the first set. They weren't Prime and have an estimated delivery date of November 23rd to December 10th. So, an update on those is a long ways off.

UPDATE: They've shipped! ...expected delivery December 10th. :(

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
I found something at Cycle Gear that was very close to the measurements I took of the push-fasteners. Problem was that "close" wasn't close enough. The reach was correct, as was the diameter. But, the wall thickness of the insert was too much to allow the plunger to go through and expand the end that holds it in. But, if you find a source, please post up. We'll all need 'em sooner or later.

OldVet

I just purchased some OEM ones at $6.50 each... Here's what they measure using your terminology.

With a caliper I get ~6mm hole size, ~13.5mm overall diameter and ~22mm total length (~22m for the pin and ~14 for the socket).

We get stung pretty bad here in Australia with KTM OEM - I ordered 4 of the original ones and was totally shocked when they cost me $13.00 each !!!!

rick

I just purchased some OEM ones at $6.50 each... Here's what they measure using your terminology. With a caliper I get ~6mm hole size, ~13.5mm overall diameter and ~22mm total length (~22m for the pin and ~14 for the socket).
Dayum! I was pretty close with these crusty old eyes on a tape measure. Thank you!!!

I'm getting the impression, based on some of the trim kits on Amazon, that my terminology could be better:
~6 hole size = 6mm hole size
~13.5 overall diameter = 13.5mm head diameter
~22 for the pin = 22mm total length
~14 for the socket = 14mm stem length
McMater-Carr calls 'em Easy-to-install Expanding Shank plastic rivets but, I'm not finding a perfect match. Lawson Products has a Door Trim Push-Type Retainer #KT13530 that's real close (and pricey)

they cost me $13.00 each !!!!
So much ouch!

Last edited:

rick

The pop rivets arrived! A good deal earlier than expected but, I think they sent me the wrong part. Here's a photo with dimensions of the OEM ones and the ones they sent me:
pop_rivets-01.jpg

The dimensions aren't even close to the one's shown on the product listing. FWIW they did slide in the hole but, I couldn't slide the pin in afterward. Since they were shipped internationally, returning 'em is gonna take awhile. Boo.

Last edited:

rick

So, next round of Amazon orders:
1. B016JPQAG2: 6.5mm Hole, 17.5mm Head, 24.5mm Total Length. 20 for $4.40 [Nov 27-Dec 14]
2. B00GYUTNXU: 6mm Hole, 12mm Head, 23mm Total Length. 20 for $4.33 [Prime]
3. B00DU674GY: 6mm Hole, 12mm Head, 25mm Total Length. 20 for $1.97 [Dec 8-24]
...so, we'll see how these go.

rick

The B00GYUTNXU (20 for $4.33 Prime) pop rivets arrived! Here's a photo with dimensions of the ones they sent me:
pop_rivets-02.jpg

The head is a little small and the pin a tad long but, they fit right in and seem to hold. So, I'd call them an acceptable replacement but, I still hoping to do better.

s30series

The B00GYUTNXU (20 for $4.33 Prime) pop rivets arrived! Here's a photo with dimensions of the ones they sent me:
pop_rivets-02.jpg

The head is a little small and the pin a tad long but, they fit right in and seem to hold. So, I'd call them an acceptable replacement but, I still hoping to do better.

Did you guys buy all his stock? Says unavailable :-(

rick

Heh, as a frequent Amazon shopper, things come and go and come back again.
FWIW, the other two both shipped from Hong Kong on November 10th and, based on the very first set I ordered, they could be here by the end of next week.