Powerless Fuel Pump

Duc Rider

Country flag
My 2015 KTM RC390 fuel pump is not getting power. The bike will power on and crank over but will not start. I have installed a Woodcraft keyless ignition harness recently. I have conducted the following troubleshooting and diagnostic procedures:

• Bench tested the fuel pump with a 12v power source. (functional and strong)
  • With power switch on, used jumper wire in relay plug, power side, to test power to fuel pump plug. (good 12v consistent)
  • With power switch on, tested signal wire side of relay plug. ( good 12v consistent)
  • Upgraded to a LiPO 3.6mAh battery with fresh charge on a LiPO dedicated charger. (no effect on fault)
  • Swapped in new relay (no effect on Fault)
  • Checked all fuses. (all fuses OEM correct and intact)

I also noted that upon initial power on the AUX Starter Relay 2 (K18) will make a very audible click 2-3 second after and get very warm to the touch. Not sure the significance as this is one of the main power relays connected with startup sequence of the bike.
The only variable is that I currently have an EVAP error code (5long:3Short flash code) on the dash. This may be due to installing an EVAP delete kit with dummy resistor plug from Rottweiler performance. The kit has been installed for some time now, so I am leaning on the side that this is not a true fault but a grounding issue in which I am currently troubleshooting.

I’m looking for advice and or additional troubleshooting measures I can conduct before taking it to a dealer as the bike ran fine until now.

simpletty

Country flag
check you ground wire should be a blue/yellow wire. I believe its located under the tank on the top of the frame with a few others. Check for power when cranking at the or-blue wire on the fuel pump connector, unplug the pump from the connector and i usually will use something that will create a load on the circuit, conventional test lamps do not provide enough load and will light easily. So get yourself something like a larger bulb such as a signal light or something. If it light bright and stays steady, good circuit. Dim you have resistance in that circuit, unplug your relay and check between pin 2 on the fuel pump connector (or-bu wire) and pin 5 of the relay. Pin 4 of the relay should always have 12 v from fuse 3 (15amps). The pcm controls the fuel pump via pin 1, and provides the ground for the relay. k30 is your power resistor and it should send power to pin 3 of the k40 fuel pump relay. So ideally easy way to check the fuel pump is pull k40 relay, jump pin 5 and the fuel pump should run. If it does not, check wiring. If it does work your way back from there. Checking load at pin 4 when cranking or key switch on. Solid test would be dump the keyless woodcraft and quickly plug in the original ignition as well. Always eliminate the obvious first. If it works, great, if not keep digging on the circuits. "If you need more help pm me